What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Not really a bench but on my ramp![ATTACH]119069[/ATTACH] vauxhall movano van with timming belt failure, 54plate with 100,000 miles on it was at another garage but they couldn't do it for a week or two so we took it on, I reckon when all done it will cost between £1500-1800. So if any of use are putting off getting your timming belt done. GET it done :thumbup:

Ooohhhhh look at all those engine parts. Really makes me want to get a spanner in my hand and come home smelling of grease and oil again. :thumbup:

I love going that deep into engines. Just hate being the one that turns the key after saying a little prayer. :lol:

Ooohhhhh look at all those engine parts. Really makes me want to get a spanner in my hand and come home smelling of grease and oil again. :thumbup:

I love going that deep into engines. Just hate being the one that turns the key after saying a little prayer. :lol:

No need for praying, they always go:blushing:

So if any of use are putting off getting your timming belt done. GET it done :thumbup:

Good advice Div.

Also worth noting that change intervals are quoted 2 ways,

1) by mileage

2) by time.

For instance, my Jeep Cherokee 2.8 is 100,000miles, OR, 96 months.

It is just 54000 miles, but is now 96 months (8yrs) so I had it replaced on monday. Its part of the 100,000 service and cost a massive £740!

Its the first time in 40yrs of car ownership that I have ever put a car into a garage and paid someone else, but I took one look at this one and decided to stick to mowers and saws. Plus I did not have the time.

My daughters Peugeot 307 timing belt failed just a few months after it was due to be changed by time, but on only half the designated mileage.

Please stop all this talk of cam belts. It's making me nervouse. :lol:

Changed the plug on that copy engine. Made no difference, now trying to source the tappet gap.

Now I'm not naming or shaming but the saw I picked up yesterday had both shocked and disappointed me greatly. Fired it up earlier today and it was running very high on tickover. This saw had been in for a service, owner paid good money for it aswell, now th enlighten and filters had been changed but it went back with the chain as slack as possible, hanging off the bar, and the high tickover problem. Also a very blunt chain, so after checking the bar over found the bar hadn't been touched either.:sneaky2::confused1:

So cleaned and dressed the bar, sharpened the chain, put it back together as it should be, saw was very high on tickover to the point you could cut with the saw on tickover. Checked the high low screws first and they where 2 1/2 turns out each. :confused1::sneaky2:

So tuned them in and out to the correct setting the saw runs sweat now. Took it back on way home and the owner said it runs better than when he first brought it. :thumbup::thumbup: this is the words that out a huge grin on my face, the happy customer. :thumbup1:

Well that was an education.

Took a while but read entire thread from original post through to current end. I've learned a bit, forgotten much and didn't understand some. But all in all, well worth the time to have got through it. It has to be said, that there certainly are some very knowledgable folk around.

I'd originally started through the thread in the hope of finding out, if particular saws of interest to me had a bad rep. I didn't actually find what I'd originally sort for; but soon got interested in the whole thing for its own reason for being. And I've enjoyed it too.

[before someone asks. No, I'll keep the list of interested saws from this thread. It would be a shame to derail it at such an early point.]

I've got a friends ride on mower in at the moment. It has had some problems before. ie the float was stuck in the carb filling the engine with petrol and turned it into a big smoke machine. Sorted that one out end of last year(think this is a bank holiday mower, been problems from day 1) Anyway he phones e up and says got a problem with mower, it went bang and then stopped and now won't start but it does turn over. So I picked it up took the cutting deck off and whipped the engine off. Now when you take the bottom off of anything its never good to find these bits fall out..........

8601113816_159a293735.jpg

8600015475_479321cce9.jpg

8601113168_ee29c2f7fb.jpg

The con rod has certainly had a battering.

8601112484_0af09bd656.jpg

Told him its pretty much scrap and quickest to bolt a new engine on, which I think is the route we are going to take. Happy days.