What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Rebuilding an ms200t, looking to replace crankcase gasket/ bearings and seals while I have it down this far. It hasn't been leakdown tested but it is old so I just wanted everything to be fresh and 100%.

Anyway, the crankcase is a bollock to split and with out any tools I am stumped as to split it with out damaging it. Anyone kindly share any techniques they have?

Yeah - make sure you remove the bolt under the rubber union that the oiler pushes in to - it helps:001_rolleyes:

The saws are generally easier than most and the bearings allow the crank to slide out easier than ball races.

Whilst on the subject of bearings. Anyone actually follow the manual for refitting bearings in applying heat and pushing them in..? Can't remember the temp but think its somewhere about 200 degrees...

Seen that on youtube, does it make it a lot easier?

Yeah - make sure you remove the bolt under the rubber union that the oiler pushes in to - it helps:001_rolleyes:

The saws are generally easier than most and the bearings allow the crank to slide out easier than ball races.

Speaking of around the oiler. The plastic washer with threads on it and teeth behind the sprocket. It doesn't slide off for me or am I just missing something? :lol:

So once all bolts are out do I need to tap it with a hammer or does it fall apart like me on a Saturday night? :thumbup:

Seen that on youtube, does it make it a lot easier?

Speaking of around the oiler. The plastic washer with threads on it and teeth behind the sprocket. It doesn't slide off for me or am I just missing something? :lol:

So once all bolts are out do I need to tap it with a hammer or does it fall apart like me on a Saturday night? :thumbup:

I'm confused over the plastic washer thing. Are you on about the oiler gear??? If so turn it anticlockwise while gently pulling on the and it should unscrew out.

May need a tap with a wooden mallet to separate but go carefull.

Some tap apart, some wallop apart, some heat and wallop and some heat wallop wallop X?3£$%ing saw:lol:

You can make a splitter that fits to the bar mount and pushes on the crank end - sometimes you can use a set of pullers but go carefully and don't wack the alloy too hard!

Never be tempted to use a screw driver to separate the cases - it will bruise the mating surfaces and cause leaks - the two problem areas are the bearings sticking on the crankshaft - not too much of an issue on the MS200 due to bearing design, and the gasket joining the two halves together.

A bit of ingenuity often helps the day, that and a large G clamp, bench vice, and a selection of pullers and a mallet:lol:

Whilst on the subject of bearings. Anyone actually follow the manual for refitting bearings in applying heat and pushing them in..? Can't remember the temp but think its somewhere about 200 degrees...

When I did bearings on my 64 I just put the cases in the oven on 110 for bout 15 minutes don't know if it was the best way to do it but it worked

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App