What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Just a little break from saws.

This Briggs 3.5 sprint engine would not run well. It had recently been "serviced" by another dealer who had replaced the carb diaphragm.

Now, these diaphragms are meant to be flat, but if they are installed without care the screws can grab the diaphragm and twist it.

New diaphragm and everythings fine.

P1000340.jpg.30e366f4aa10cfdd0926fdb98f28eddd.jpg

P1000336.jpg.8d41c7b3a17a16b49c3490d976798816.jpg

P1000337.jpg.5adff8a593be275fd039f0d8a6f0475c.jpg

I had to set it to idle a tad fast so I could richen it up due to the vent issue. Turns out this had the old fuel cap vent set up. So now I have to hunt down the correct fuel cap... It explains why it leaned out on the previous owner and seized. In the vid you can see in 3 cuts it goes a bit leaner and has trouble staying on.

As for the starting it, I would usually have the bar pointed more down or on a log(like this:

), but this thing is so light I can just hold it out and start it. No, it's not the way health and safety or the guilds teach you(and I do have my first 3 certs), but it's how I usually start a saw if I am not in proximity to anything. Have you noticed it hasn't even got a chain brake yet? This saw is 30 years old. I used my first saw in forestry cutting fire lines in the Sierra Nevada's in the early 1990's. That saw had a chain brake, tho ;)

At this point it's faster than the stock 50's we have by a good margin. Well, at least until the vent causes a problem. Once the vent is fixed, I will advance the timing some. It's running 195psi, so I don't want to go too crazy on the timing. But even a small bit of timing makes a big difference.

Last part of that vid sounded like the starting grid of the 250 pro am races of the 1980s - all Yamaha TZ250s:thumbup:

Whats under my bench?

The metering valve lever spring from a Zama carb. These things fly easily so I always make sure the floor is spotless before stripping a carb.

Makes it much easier to spot the spring:thumbup1:

Mmm, it is circlips with me - flipin little buggers just shoot out and vanish:001_rolleyes::blushing:

Circlips are an engines way of getting back at you my friend :lol:

Cheeky little sods they are.

Anyhow, I read your post about their being a few pictures here of an 020AV but I've hurt my eyes trying to find it, so I thought I'd post a pic of the one I have in the hope you might be able to advise.

saw3.jpg

saw2.jpg

And the side I'm trying to remove...

saw1.jpg

I've removed all the screws I can find on both sides, including the deep one on the right side, does the left hand side case come away on its own or does it include the top section where the handle is?

Cheers

FYI, the one I did had the plating bubbling on the needle valve making it stick - worth stripping down that carb and checking it out as once it is back in, it isn't easy to get out again:thumbdown:

Not bad saws once done, have a fair bit of torque and are noisy:thumbup:

Haven't found a new vented cap for a 44/444 yet. No one has one in stock. Ugh.

She's been getting stronger as I have been using it, though. So after a few tanks I went and took another compression reading:

large.jpg

FYI, the one I did had the plating bubbling on the needle valve making it stick - worth stripping down that carb and checking it out as once it is back in, it isn't easy to get out again:thumbdown:

Not bad saws once done, have a fair bit of torque and are noisy:thumbup:

Cheers, I stripped it a little and found it to be ok diaphragm and manifold but I will go further tomorrow and check everything I can find. Do you have any idea as to the age of the saw I have, i need to get some parts as well, fuel pick up and a new gasket for the fuel tank.

The PDF you posted yesterday seemed to be for engines 2005 onwards and I'm sure this one is older. Looking down the bore it all seems to be clean and there's a fair amount of compression so I'm hoping I might have found a little bargain :001_smile:

Either way it's fun working on it, it's my first saw repair obviously :001_smile:

Cheers, I stripped it a little and found it to be ok diaphragm and manifold but I will go further tomorrow and check everything I can find. Do you have any idea as to the age of the saw I have, i need to get some parts as well, fuel pick up and a new gasket for the fuel tank.

The PDF you posted yesterday seemed to be for engines 2005 onwards and I'm sure this one is older. Looking down the bore it all seems to be clean and there's a fair amount of compression so I'm hoping I might have found a little bargain :001_smile:

Either way it's fun working on it, it's my first saw repair obviously :001_smile:

There is no way that the 020AVT was manufactured in 2005, the MS200T came about around 2000, before that the 020T was the saw to have so a rough estimate for the last 020AVT to be manufactured would be circa late 80s to early 90s - don't know the exact dates and am assuming a 10 year production run!