What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Ive now got a stihl 009 for very cheap, going to strip it tomorrow and hopefully get it running ready to teach my boys

Thats what I started on...look at me now:lol::lol:

On the Aspen front, the plug looked like new, no colour on it at all, like it was out of the box - if that is an old plug then I am impressed - no good for the ported saws though as I use the plug colour as one indicator to correct running!

I will look at the piston crown before it goes back - no time to strip it down for inspection - got an MS650 and a 048 to fix - it never stops:lol:

Got a Stihl MS650 in with a bad seize, cleaned the bore up, it looks worse than it really is, bit scored above and to the side of the exhaust port but would rather refit this cylinder with a new OEM piston (No decent aftermarket ones available) than risk Chinese parts.

It feels smooth and the owner wants a light tune done to it so reckon a thinner base gasket will help the compression - anything over 150psi is good and reckon it will make that!

59766165c3fbe_Thisone.JPG.79f72e9765d4a1f028e8382537d4ec1c.JPG

IMG_0678.jpg.31870ddefe1a1e3d6cae8f5d729d844d.jpg

Our HL101 is being a right pig at the moment. I changed the air filter and fuel filter and then reset the carb to the manual. It starts from cold with no problems but when it is running at full throttle for more than 15 mins it just dies. It dies on idle and when it coughs and splutters it is belching black smoke. The compression feels good and the spark plug is a healthy biscuit brown. Any ideas what is causing it to die?

Our HL101 is being a right pig at the moment. I changed the air filter and fuel filter and then reset the carb to the manual. It starts from cold with no problems but when it is running at full throttle for more than 15 mins it just dies. It dies on idle and when it coughs and splutters it is belching black smoke. The compression feels good and the spark plug is a healthy biscuit brown. Any ideas what is causing it to die?

Is it still making compression when it is hot? If the compression is enough for the engine to fire and run until warm, perhaps the normal drop in compression when hot is enough to make it die!

Other than that, is the exhaust clear of heavy carbon or oily crap, sometimes they can get blocked.

The mix sounds right judging by the plug colour:confused1:

Is it still making compression when it is hot? If the compression is enough for the engine to fire and run until warm, perhaps the normal drop in compression when hot is enough to make it die!

Other than that, is the exhaust clear of heavy carbon or oily crap, sometimes they can get blocked.

The mix sounds right judging by the plug colour:confused1:

Yup still good compression when hot. Although when it has been running for more than 30 mins flat out it doesn't want to start so we have to leave it for 30 mins too cool enough to start. There is a bit of carbon deposit on the exhaust gas exit. So will take that off this week and give it a good clean out. I'm as confused as you about the reason for it dying when it is warm.

fuel tank breather blocked,

building pressure up and pushing it past carb needle valve ( black smoke = mixture too rich)

or the coil is breaking down when hot and causing intermittent spark

Edited by amfell
added extra thought

fuel tank breather blocked,

building pressure up and pushing it past carb needle valve ( black smoke = mixture too rich)

or the coil is breaking down when hot and causing intermittent spark

Matt, to test the breather theory try running it with the cap loose ( on the bench).

But my money is on the coil. If you have an inline spark tester such as the Briggs one you can run it and watch the spark. If it grows weak before stopping then it shows that the coil is breaking down. Without that tester, just let it stop and then apply any tester, or even a tiny tach. If the coil is duff there will be no spark, but it may come back as it cools. It will eventually fail completely.

Sometimes the coils fail in such a way as they cause the timing to alter, causing misfiring and backfiring too.

Hi Spud I have a 029 super that rattles like a bag of nails when its pulled over. I have taken the exhaust off and there were large ammounts of carbon deposits other than that the piston doesnt look to bad apart from a small lip around the edge of the crown :confused1: the rings seem to move in and out if pushed with a lolly stick more than I thought they should and the compression seems lower than normal, the saw seems to have done very little work and Im puzzled

Plus the drive sprocket is 3/8 but the only spare bar I have is .325 would you replace the drive to .325 or replace the bar to 3/8.

Any ideas would be appreciated