What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Thanks for that will have a play tomorrow

I guess one way of looking at it is the L screw does low speed mixture and the idle screw is like holding the throttle on very lightly.

Please make sure the high speed running is OK and isn't running lean, this can have some bad effects on your piston - seizure.

If you stick to the factory one turn out on each screw, you should be relatively safe unless you have an air leak.

Good luck - if you need any further advice, just ask

Must be grass season. 4 Hondas today. 2 roller drives, one was needed to be stripped for parts, said it didn't run, float was stuck runs sweet now. Cables stuck on other one, some thin oil soon sorted that out, runs sweet.

And small domestic type were blade spins with engine, hunting revs, choke half stuck closed, soon sorted.

Another roller leaking fuel, float stuck open this time. Petrol pouring from carb, soon sorted.

Nice easy day, although I do not norm like doing mowers as its normally simple stuff and taking carbs off wind me up as its always diddly but nothing else on my bench.

Except for the 2a with a blown head gasket gone between cylinders 3+4. Should be interesting stuff, looks like I will be swearing and butchering my hands over weekend.lol

Nice easy day, although I do not norm like doing mowers as its normally simple stuff and taking carbs off wind me up as its always diddly but nothing else on my bench.

I know what you mean Rich. I get more trouble with Honda carbs than any other, and they are the very worse to get off, especially on the GCV engines.

Getting them back on is a right fiddle, but the use of two steel guide bars makes it much simpler. Next time I do one I will take some pics and post, they may help someone.

I had a Honda carb on and off 3 times today for cleaning after stale fuel, but could not get it to stop hunting, whacked a new carb on in the end, perfect.

On to next job, 17" cylinder mower for full service and regrind.

Had a Stihl TS-- stone cutting jobby to get running, newish machine but wouldn't start, never seen a filter so blocked before (apart from when I sank the Landy at Driffield!) just a solid mass of stone dust stopping the airflow. Also the front guard had clogged with packed iron filings and stone dust mixed so fitting a new disk was impossible without chiselling it all off, clean fuel and away she went:thumbup1:

Hey garden, i have a 6'5 hp honda engine ( log splitter) thats continually hunting.. Any ideas/pointers

If its a 6.5hp then I expect its a GX engine. If its hunting then its running a little weak, most likely due to a dirty jet and/or emulsification tube. The tiny holes get blocked with dirt or stale fuel 'varnish' and restrict the fuel flow.

These can be cleaned with carb cleaner, airline and jet cleaner picks. This may cure the problem, but it could also be due to the same materials blocking, or restricting, the internal drillings in the carb body. These may clean by ultrasonic cleaning, but sometimes it just does not work and a new carb is needed.

Genuine carbs are not cheap, but some pattern part carbs are available.

Cheers Garden, can i ask where jet cleaner picks are purchased, and what fluid is best in the ultrasonic cleaner? i have a small uw ultrasonic cleaner with heater and timer controls. Thanks a bundle Tony

Bury, a carb cleaning kit is available from Honda under part number 07JPZ-001-0003, priced at a whopping £32.90 plus vat. I have a little box with various diameter picks made from the straight bits of tension springs such as governor springs. It works.

But this question has prompted me to order the Honda kit, which I have just done.

As per Ultrasonic fluid, I use a brand name one from Ultrawave. You need a solution that is PH weak so as not to etch the aluminium. Hard metals use a high PH one.

You can make your own, search google for recipies as I dont feel qualified to advise.

Hope this helps.:thumbup: