What's on your bench today?

spudulike

What a cazy day yesterday was. Started the day with no new machines in for service, just 6 on the bench in various states of repair awaiting spares.

By the end of the day another 31 machines had turned up. I,ll have to get busy now as I like all machines turned round within the week.:biggrin:

Make sure all those parts are kept separate, don't want any more Frankensaws on this thread:001_rolleyes:

357XP

-Does it have either of the autodecompression or plastic boot clamp?

Yea it's got the decompression valve, seems to be nice and clicky etc. It also has a plastic boot clamp which I will replace with something more sturdy before rebuilding.

I have worked on the aluminum transfer in the cylinder and removed it, the actual cylinder bore is scored below the aluminum so I think it's goosed - I plan on buying a non OEM head and piston kit and testing a new piston in this old head to see what compression it produces as a learning tool then assemble the new stuff after before running.

BG85

- Did you remove the circlip or is that missing also? It was missing

Looks like someone tore it down and then decided it wasn't worth fixing? Almost definitely

- Has part of it has chipped off near the lower right transfer in your picture? Yes it has, looked chipped/worn

IMO you would be better off selling the blower and using the money toward the 357 - I agree!

Thanks for the advice and parts lists and parts suppliers info, very handy stuff.

Also thank you to Steve (Spud), also very helpful and excellent service with the 020 I purchased from him, a reliable seller indeed.

I will update on progress. Feel free to comment on my plans!

Ash

357XP

-Does it have either of the autodecompression or plastic boot clamp?

Yea it's got the decompression valve, seems to be nice and clicky etc. It also has a plastic boot clamp which I will replace with something more sturdy before rebuilding.

I have worked on the aluminum transfer in the cylinder and removed it, the actual cylinder bore is scored below the aluminum so I think it's goosed - I plan on buying a non OEM head and piston kit and testing a new piston in this old head to see what compression it produces as a learning tool then assemble the new stuff after before running.

BG85

- Did you remove the circlip or is that missing also? It was missing

Looks like someone tore it down and then decided it wasn't worth fixing? Almost definitely

- Has part of it has chipped off near the lower right transfer in your picture? Yes it has, looked chipped/worn

IMO you would be better off selling the blower and using the money toward the 357 - I agree!

Thanks for the advice and parts lists and parts suppliers info, very handy stuff.

Also thank you to Steve (Spud), also very helpful and excellent service with the 020 I purchased from him, a reliable seller indeed.

I will update on progress. Feel free to comment on my plans!

Ash

Thanks Ash - hope the 020 does some good service now, it sounds like your saw has the standard decomp and that is good - hope the advice all makes sense.

I have been fixing up a MS200T that is now running like a champ and is on the shelf ready for sale as is the Husqvarna 254 after having a new piston and crank seal.

Started on a stihl hedge trimmer - a non runner that decided to run perfectly when I ran it up - little bugger took one look at me and threw in the towel - found a load of crud in the breather that probably wasn't helping and will clean & rebuild the carb and try again. Filter and fuel pipe seem good.

P1030923.JPG.c1cec8e91b2c73d30e985c05de425d37.JPG

P1030921.JPG.9a601c39eb37f74aa99d1b868b22281d.JPG

I've got the cylinder pretty smooth now so I am going to go for a Meteor piston assembly. Ill see my local husky dealer to get one of those manifold clips and carb spring. Otherwise a used carb off fleabay.

Goodluck, with it, sounds like you have cleared all the aluminium transfer and that is critical otherwise it just damages the ring, you will get away with some light scoring but heavy scoring above the exhaust port isn't great but the saw will run with it as long as you have 130psi.

Run the saw up a little rich for the first 10 tanks and then tune to around 13,500rpm once bedded in.

Drop me a line if you need any further advice - and fit the boot before putting the cylinder on.

Some of you may remember me pointing out to double check the direction of the piston when reassembling the engine when using Chinese pistons as I have found the arrows to be pointing in the wrong direction?They should point toward the exhaust port!

The ring location pins should run where there is solid land running up the complete length of the cylinder or sometimes runs where the piston ring won't contact the port like under the inlet port - popular on older Huskys.

Had a 064 in, getting it going and selling it on behalf of the owner who has since got a 660 and wants to clear this one out.

I noted low compression, pulled the muffler and noted a broken ring and thought "toast" - no not breakfast but a buggered cylinder. Did a vac and pressure check to see if I needed seals and got a slight air leak traced back to the seal around the cylinder base gasket - easily fixable:thumbup:

Pulled the cylinder and thank the Lord, apart from some very light dings in the inlet and exhaust port, it looks fine, given it a light rub over with light grade wet and dry - the picture is before I did this!

Checked the piston - aftermarket and the arrow was pointing in the correct direction but the ring location pins were facing forward - only seen this on a 441 as standard before and knew that the 650 I had just done had rear facing pins - checked the measurements and sure enough, the ring would clear the port by around 2mm - far too little and the cause of the rings getting smashed - another duff Chinese piston so be careful out there folks, someone once told me this sort of repair is easy.....it is if you know what you are doing:001_rolleyes::lol:

P1030938.JPG.07a28898f2a388aa1c67f2690c5a09df.JPG

P1030930.JPG.03f67946f48035a8fc8bea5197848043.JPG

P1030929.JPG.1652fde61bfadf9dc85a68fb60f6a81b.JPG

P1030926.JPG.65e3d1e19cf05e54e64b1435a9f4503f.JPG

P1030925.JPG.290f8803f46936c1aa70dfa0ceab2905.JPG

Got another of the many MS200Ts I have around on the bench today - looks relatively low miles. Good compression at 165psi, it is cleaning up well and has passed pressure and vacuum tests, strangely the carb is one of an 020T, a common mod in light of the later problematic carbs.

A bit more time and work and it will be ready for sale making a brace of MS200s on the shelf:thumbup:

P1030941.JPG.629739cd64e868907b1f51701c614ab7.JPG

P1030939.JPG.655c97724baccb2353856e5f38ebac62.JPG