What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Interesting on the 460 how a £2 breather can work out a bit expensive.

Spud; do you use a honing tool to clean seized barrels or are just good at doing it by hand techniques & do you use 'ring clamps' to fit barrels over pistons ( I used to use them on bikes mainly twins many yrs ago)

I'm suprised that saw owners don't clean their saws before sending them to you.

i know some guys who would perfer to be given it dirty, and i am one as you can tell a lot from the dirt.

i work on quads a lot and find that it is easier to find what might be wrong as you can see what kind of work it has been doing, oil leaks. and other problems. ectra but it nice having a clean one to start with

ps i love steam cleaners

With the 394 will a 395 piston and head go straight on??? There's a genuine oem kit on eBay for £170 if they do and plenty of non genuine kits a's I'm sure your aware but I swear I read on arborsite it was a straight swap???

Nope - no bananna - the 394 has an internal impulse line and bolted carb manifold - the 395 has a push on boot with external impulse, you can coinvert them but need a carb, back plate,manifold, air filter assembly and connector manifold and I think the cover needs modifying.

I looked in to this first:thumbdown:

Interesting on the 460 how a £2 breather can work out a bit expensive.

Spud; do you use a honing tool to clean seized barrels or are just good at doing it by hand techniques & do you use 'ring clamps' to fit barrels over pistons ( I used to use them on bikes mainly twins many yrs ago)

I'm suprised that saw owners don't clean their saws before sending them to you.

Havent proved the breather theory yet but will clean her tubes out... Oh er missus:thumbup: and report back with findings but this looks at fist glance, to be a possible issue. A pressure check will find any other nasties!

I take of the aluminium transfer with an acid applied in the effected areas, wash it off, apply a little light oil and give the area a light rub with a semi course emery, followed by fine emery followed by finishing paper. I give it enough to take the oxidised and etched ally off and a little more to get it smooth - some you win, some you loose -deep vertical scores higher than the exhaust port are bad news!

You can soft hone but find my technique works, you can't treat these plated bores as cast iron ones as I am sure you know.

I don't use clamps but usually just use a blunt electricians screwdriver and care to put the piston in the barrel - double ring pistons are a little harder than singles but have never broken rings and that includes using the same technique on twin and foour cylinder motorbikes - just needs care! Removing the carry handle does help with refitting the cylinder.

Going to tear down the 056 - the compression is only 130psi and am reliably informed it should be up in the 160 - 180psi range, some old saws can be a bit quirky on compression readings but it soes seem down so will look at the bore & piston wear and inspect the rings - chances are a nice new piston will bring the saw to life!

Have now had the cylinder off the 056 Stihl, the piston is a little scored on the inlet and out let side. It looks like a bit of carbon or light seizure on the exhaust side and an ingestion of sawdust on the inlet side.

Now got a piston on order, couldn't get a Meteor or Episan as they come in at 52mm and this is 54mm.

A light hone with some wet and dry and a new piston should get some good compression readings.

P1030768.jpg.aba90006c2e58bf7a1fc66db5d67aeb8.jpg

P1030767.jpg.72f948a58a01daedc64df0973b53b6e4.jpg

P1030766.jpg.00ce94feec605535437f065cd95623c2.jpg

P1030765.jpg.beec0b994f5e6f6c575efc1255eb89a6.jpg

P1030762.jpg.9cb5e3a961bef6f5742c625d2a116ac6.jpg

This is the sum of what ive picked up from a local service shop this morning, a 023 2x250 230 and a 210. All in bits, they say they are beyond repair. I shall be the judge of that. Main cases are in the dishwasher already.

Dishwasher.....my wife would kill me if I did that, been tempted many times though:lol::lol:

Nice little haul - service agents are limited to OEM spare prices and one mans junk is anothers gold!