What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Well spotted:thumbup: the saw is pretty old, in an ideal world you are spot on and fitting these parts is good advice but the saw is old and has some sentimental value and like always, am trying to meet customer expectations on cost whilst doing a repair up to a good standard. Don't think a £400 repair bill would cut it!

All I have done so far is to take the pot off, clean and inspect it, a decent clean with petrol and a spin of the crank with the coil off will show up if the bearings are a bit slack and have play - will do this before buying the piston but hopefully, if I clean it out, the saw will have an extended life without heavy cost.

A cheap way to sort the flywheel is to take metal of the opposite side of the flywheel - perhaps not in the book but should even up any imbalances! I haven't even taken the cover off yet, better have a closer look before I splash out any expense - may find other horror stories:thumbdown:

I can see what you mean about the cost. Realistically you would be looking at about £100 incl VAT for the parts I mentioned above. New OEM parts except aftermarket piston and good used flywheel.

I think it is next to impossible to balance a flywheel by removing material from the other side... they tend to not be symmetrical. You could probably get quite close but at 8000+rpm, the flywheel side bearing isn't going to thank you.

Picture of bearing with cracked polymer cage, spins freely;

(note; some bearings are installed with the cage inwards, others outwards)

DSC00485.JPG.385b46c610a801a051ec3a968744a924.JPG

I think it is one for the owner to decide upon after all it is his saw and cash, I have filled the crankcase cavity with petrol then drained it out and used WD40 and carb cleaner on it - still needs a bit more attention but is much cleaner now and the bearings feel good but take your point on the cages.

The £100 parts plus £30 quality piston plus £15 plus my labour starts making this repair uneconomical on an older saw which is why I try to reach a half way point to where the owner gets a decent repair and I havent overdone the cost of spares.

As I say - customer will take the call on this one but reckon he will take it as it is and see how it goes.

Will keep everyone posted:thumbup:

That piston is toast, not sure about the cylinder, cant tell.

Here is tonights project, Stihl MS260 oiler not working - didn't even piss around without stripping it down, clutch off, oiler off, clean the tubes, filter, check the pinion and blow through the pump - bit of gooey black stuff in there - oil and wood dust.

Works fine now, unlike the 0.325 rim sprocket with a 3/8 bar and chain - God knows who fitted that:001_rolleyes: wondered why the chain was so notchy on pulling it round:lol:

P1030720.jpg.41a29e5d8c3b3abd3eaaeec330cf2399.jpg

P1030719.jpg.1d32d034ea87ab635cba5f94d411a5b6.jpg

P1030718.jpg.f039df755c9512507c279d0361c3ca0b.jpg

spud,

wish i had known about this place and your repairs before i sold my 340. cursed saw even from new took 10 - 12 pulls to start every time from cold.

Bless ebay selling it on though....

A saw that has been started a week ago or under should start on 3-5 pulls, more is too many IMO. A saw that has stood for a few months may be closer to 8 - 12 pulls only because fuel needs to be pulled through.

Anothers problem now :001_rolleyes:

Latest kit to hit the bench - the 026 has been cleaned and the new piston fitted - compression is 170psi + and sounds good, no noise from the crank bearings and will see in time if it is a good job but all looks good.

Got a repair to a handle moulding - owner didn't notice it had broken, expensive part so I am patching it and have made the metalwork to do so.

Another project - a two stroke drill....no I haven't seen one before either, symptoms are inabillity to rev - owner thought carb but a quick tune and removing the air filter briefly made no difference - I reckon it has a blockage in the exhaust - perhaps carbon in the baffle plate but will see!

P1030722.jpg.c98c85713453176797e9b6f3174c0144.jpg

P1030724.jpg.4650a418665fcd0e366a84ee8867af12.jpg

P1030723.jpg.7a86741266f1e11eb62fa3dbc3ea19b6.jpg

P1030721.jpg.a96285f1c821e0a269a4ec45e6a4377d.jpg

Just tached the 023 and 026 I have fitted new pistons in, all good, the 026 sounded pretty flubby on the top end and notied the choke spring wasnt sited properly and the choke flap was opening and closing on full throttle, once I sorted this, it came alive and was perfect - the owner will be very happy.

Just working on that broken handle now.

Latest kit to hit the bench - the 026 has been cleaned and the new piston fitted - compression is 170psi + and sounds good, no noise from the crank bearings and will see in time if it is a good job but all looks good.

Got a repair to a handle moulding - owner didn't notice it had broken, expensive part so I am patching it and have made the metalwork to do so.

Another project - a two stroke drill....no I haven't seen one before either, symptoms are inabillity to rev - owner thought carb but a quick tune and removing the air filter briefly made no difference - I reckon it has a blockage in the exhaust - perhaps carbon in the baffle plate but will see!

You can get a good used 024/026 tank off ebay for £24.50 not including delivery. You would have to modify the tank vent and more than likely get a different fuel hose though as it is from an earlier version.

The two stroke drill looks to be a BT 45. Shares exactly the same engine as equipment from many of Stihl's ranges including; BG, FC, FS, HL, HS and others.

Pretty sure it has a spark arresting screen which can clog, both UK and US versions. Also similar to the MS200T (and many other models) it has an accelerator pump on the carb...