What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Got a Stihl MS260 which died on us this morning. The fuel smelt a bit funny this morning (not the usual petrol smell) but i only noticed it after the saw wouldn't start. Asked one of our apprentices as he did the petrol run this morning. We have 3 pumps in the yard, one for deisel, petrol and gasoil. He had put gasoil (normally used in generators) in the combi can. So we have 5 litres of gasoil and 2 stroke oil mix to get rid of. Going to strip the saw tomorrow morning to allow the oil to vapourise and drain the tank. How the apprentice got the Gasoil and Petrol nozzles mixed up i dunno.

Just use the gasoil and 2stroke mix like you would normal gasoil, done it before, no trouble.

Spud, how much does the piston cost for the 254?

It very much depends on where you get them from and what quality. Chinese ones from around £25, the superior Meteor or Episan around £28 and original OEM circa £60.

If you have seized the engine ALL the aluminium transfer will need to be removed otherwise you will damage the rings within minutes!

Great thread Spud!

What do you (or Megatron) reckon to this, shipped my 880 over from the uk and changed to Aspen without re-tuning, a fair few tankfulls have been through her now, just a bit paranoid, i think its ok, a touch rich perhaps, but acceptable (?)

And its got the green airfilter, is it worth changing to the black one?

[ATTACH]77235[/ATTACH]

Firstly, if this plug was taken out after a deep cut under load after some use then the colour looks good, perhaps a tad too rich but no problems there. If the saw was left to idle after the cut then the colour may be misleading.

I personally always use a tach now - that way the saw will run as the manufacturer specifies - on a saw of this value I would recommend a tach tune and run it on the rich side due to the long felling cuts it is likely to spend it's time doing and the cost of spares if it fries like the one I have got running recently.

I can tune by ear but you have to recognise the sound of a fourstroking two stroke to do this and again would use the correct tools on a saw of this value.

Firstly, if this plug was taken out after a deep cut under load after some use then the colour looks good, perhaps a tad too rich but no problems there. If the saw was left to idle after the cut then the colour may be misleading.

I personally always use a tach now - that way the saw will run as the manufacturer specifies - on a saw of this value I would recommend a tach tune and run it on the rich side due to the long felling cuts it is likely to spend it's time doing and the cost of spares if it fries like the one I have got running recently.

I can tune by ear but you have to recognise the sound of a fourstroking two stroke to do this and again would use the correct tools on a saw of this value.

shame your so far away or you could check my 088 out, pressure check and tune, it's just sat at the bottom or a box where it can stay lol :biggrin: can you pm me with a price on pressure testing and a price for a tune also postage back etc for future reference please :)

cheers, much appreciated, i don't know of anyone around here thats a good repair/check person

Ta, I was given a seized 254 some years ago, maybe a winter project, well, one of them.

Nice saw to play with, had one once and cut a lot of wood with it. I did one recently, I could only find a "Golf" brand pistons for this saw - they are ok and would recommend using the OEM circlip and NOT the ones supplied as I gather some of our US friends have had long term failures in this area.

One word of advice - be sure to find the original route cause of failure - it may be an air leak, carb setting or old fuel. If the route cause isn't resolved, the saw will fry your hard work:thumbdown:

Great thread Spud!

What do you (or Megatron) reckon to this, shipped my 880 over from the uk and changed to Aspen without re-tuning, a fair few tankfulls have been through her now, just a bit paranoid, i think its ok, a touch rich perhaps, but acceptable (?)

And its got the green airfilter, is it worth changing to the black one?

[ATTACH]77235[/ATTACH]

Looks rich. Did you load the saw up for a while and then hit the kill switch towards the end of the cut before letting it return to idle?

However, I never rely much on reading spark plugs by colour. The area you actually want to be reading is way down at the base of the porcelain, not what most people think. The colour can also vary depending what fuel and oil you use.

Definately worth changing the green filter though. If the green one is in good condition keep it for use in wintry conditions i.e. falling snow. You want the black and silver HD2 filter, part number 0000 140 4402.

Busy day today - the MS200T had the carb replaced, idle was shot, absolutely awful, idle was dying, up to around 4k rpm then stalled, reving poor, worked a bit of magic and all is now sound, right back to smooth even idle and revving nicely, will tach tomorrow.

Stihl 023 has had a new piston fitted, will post picturtes tomorrow. Nice compression but the aftermarket carb is now givinng me grief, nice bit of pulling power at full bore that was missing before but the idle is intermittent, have asked the owner if he has the original carb - got to be better than this one!

Fiished up fitting new clutch springs to the MS200T, the chain was running all the time - I like the saws I service to be fully sorted before they go out:thumbup: