What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Sounds like I'd better give up then and just keep choking it like I have for the last 6 months. Don't fancy splitting the crankcase. Wish I'd asked on here before I started fiddling

The most common fault is the earth wire shears, often it looks ok but the wires break inside the rubber cover. Try replacing just the earth (yellow/green) wire and see if it works!

Seeing as it's raining like mad here I have been cleaning up my 372 and the oil leak it has looks to be coming from the gasket between the cases at the front.

Now I'm right in thinking this isn't a 5min job but also something I can't afford to have my dealer do.

It is possible that doing the crankcase bolts up may sort it but often the gasket gets drawn in to the oil tank meaning the cases won't hold the oil in.

It is a relatively big job to split cases. Crankcase splitters are really required as weltering the crank end with a mallet is too brutal IMO! The bearings are a tight push fit in both the cases and crankshaft and not the loose fit like the ones on MS200s and some smaller saws!

It is possible that doing the crankcase bolts up may sort it but often the gasket gets drawn in to the oil tank meaning the cases won't hold the oil in.

It is a relatively big job to split cases. Crankcase splitters are really required as weltering the crank end with a mallet is too brutal IMO! The bearings are a tight push fit in both the cases and crankshaft and not the loose fit like the ones on MS200s and some smaller saws!

Cheers for that reply, i figured it may be a little tougher than I thought.

Since getting this saw it now owes me the same as a new one just a shame it has the leak.

Will have to get some prices from yourself for a tune up when I get some money sorted, may as well make it into a monster.

Cheers for that reply, i figured it may be a little tougher than I thought.

Since getting this saw it now owes me the same as a new one just a shame it has the leak.

Will have to get some prices from yourself for a tune up when I get some money sorted, may as well make it into a monster.

372XPs port up really well - one of the best:thumbup:

Gents, do you think it's okay to use this solution?

I've just replaced the piston and cylinder on an 026 that decided to eat one of its piston rings. The guy I've done it for didn't want to spend too much so went with a farmer tec kit, which in fairness didn't look to be too bad quality. On pressure testing it was leaking and I finally found that it was due to the poor thread on the decomp valve port. I put PTFE tape on the blank off bolt and this immediately cured the leak.

I'm going to leave it blanked off (one less thing to leak) just wanted to check if the PTFE tape is okay or if you'd recommend some other long term solution?

Cheers, Dan

A 242 xpg that's got me totally foxed. Starts and runs for a few seconds then dies. Tank breather changed. Fuel line and bobbin changed. Impulse circuit checked. Needles checked. Carb diaphragm checked. All ok.

Run out of ideas but something is causing it to die.

Ideas?

Gents, do you think it's okay to use this solution?

I've just replaced the piston and cylinder on an 026 that decided to eat one of its piston rings. The guy I've done it for didn't want to spend too much so went with a farmer tec kit, which in fairness didn't look to be too bad quality. On pressure testing it was leaking and I finally found that it was due to the poor thread on the decomp valve port. I put PTFE tape on the blank off bolt and this immediately cured the leak.

I'm going to leave it blanked off (one less thing to leak) just wanted to check if the PTFE tape is okay or if you'd recommend some other long term solution?

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan I have used ptfe tape on a spark plug before and it worked long enough till I could tap and helicoil a new plug thread ( two weeks wait on the post till the helicoil kit turned up ) and the tape seemed fine if a little charred, but for a permanent repair I'd use high temp liquid gasket or gun gum exhaust compound