What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Running a bead of weld round the race is often quick and effective for removing bearing outers from blind housings :001_smile:

Not a bad call if you weld, I only braze although I do have an arc welder but not used it.

There are always a number of ways of doing jobs - I use burrs and a dremmel for most of my porting and knew it would do the job with little damage to the case.I did contemplate a close fit washer and epoxy/fiberglassing it in and belting it out or two close fitting washers pushed away from each other in to the face groove and bolted together!

I had the idea, set a course, actuated it and it worked - can't get better than that:thumbup:

It was a nice moment when I belted the thing and half of it fell out:thumbup:

Put both the crank bearings in - this is where one of those real big old school G clamps comes in real use, it can be difficult at times but these went in well - I always clean and lightly oil the seat, make sure that the inner bearing is flush with the inside crank case.

The replacement crank has been fitted in to one side of he cases, a new gasket ready to be fitted but just ran out of time to get any further!

Running a bead of weld round the race is often quick and effective for removing bearing outers from blind housings :001_smile:

+1 for the welding technique. I tend to weld a thick washer into the race at the same time as running a bead, in this way not only does the race release but I have something to tap on to tap it out.

Spuds way is good, but 2hrs at my £50hr is a bit steep to get a bearing out. 3minutes with the welder.

+1 for the welding technique. I tend to weld a thick washer into the race at the same time as running a bead, in this way not only does the race release but I have something to tap on to tap it out.

Spuds way is good, but 2hrs at my £50hr is a bit steep to get a bearing out. 3minutes with the welder.

Will post it to you in future:sneaky2::lol::lol: So 3 mins is £2.50 then:thumbup::001_tt2:

I just dig in and use what I have around me, the time it would have taken me to find someone to weld it would have been better spent just doing what I did!

Will post it to you in future:sneaky2::lol::lol: So 3 mins is £2.50 then:thumbup::001_tt2:

!

Haha, As part of the job its only £3.50, but as a stand alone service it would the minimum charge of £25.00

But I was not knocking your way of doing it Steve, it was a great result. Just pointing out the difference between your way of working and the commercial way, where we simply cannot afford to spend 2hrs with a diamond burr when there is a perfectly good welder in the corner.

The welder is also good for getting out broken studs. Simply cut a larger nut in half to make it thinner. Place it over the stub of the broken stud and weld it to the stub through the inner hole.

The heat travels down the stud and frees it off, then a spanner can be used to unwind the stud using the welded on nut. Simples.

Haha, As part of the job its only £3.50, but as a stand alone service it would the minimum charge of £25.00

But I was not knocking your way of doing it Steve, it was a great result. Just pointing out the difference between your way of working and the commercial way, where we simply cannot afford to spend 2hrs with a diamond burr when there is a perfectly good welder in the corner.

The welder is also good for getting out broken studs. Simply cut a larger nut in half to make it thinner. Place it over the stub of the broken stud and weld it to the stub through the inner hole.

The heat travels down the stud and frees it off, then a spanner can be used to unwind the stud using the welded on nut. Simples.

Nice idea, must dig out the Arc welder and try it again - what sort to you use? Guessing MIG?

I know what you mean about your commercial time and the fact I can spend as long as I like. It is doing it on homeowner kit that it really pisses even me off:001_rolleyes::thumbdown:

Nice idea, must dig out the Arc welder and try it again - what sort to you use? Guessing MIG?

I know what you mean about your commercial time and the fact I can spend as long as I like. It is doing it on homeowner kit that it really pisses even me off:001_rolleyes::thumbdown:

Yup. You know those times when you spend 3 hours on a machine worth £120 and end up charging only £70. And the carp is still no good. (sorry, must be dyslexic)

Just me [ATTACH]186953[/ATTACH]

How is the search for a nae home going:001_rolleyes::lol:

Badly I presume:lol:

You really have to get over the fact that lots of tools doesn't always make the best engineer:sneaky2::lol:

That tool kit is about as big as my workshop!

How is the search for a nae home going:001_rolleyes::lol:

Badly I presume:lol:

You really have to get over the fact that lots of tools doesn't always make the best engineer:sneaky2::lol:

That tool kit is about as big as my workshop!

But it helps :biggrin:

Work was quiet yesterday so when for a nap and my apprentice found me :001_tt2: