What's on your bench today?

spudulike

181 was an odd saw, had twin steel piston rings, couldnt keep the muffler on for love nor money, throttle shut off when under cutting due to the huge movment in the av system, 281 was a far better saw and quite a bit different.

Ah...... some were fitted with the very thin two rings, mine is original Mahle and comes with a single full size ring - mine is Army green and came with the MOD plates on it.

Yes they were supplied through a dealer in a green box, no green parts were available, it may well have had a new cylinder if it has a single ring, it also had a smaller main bearing on the flywheel size, the 480 fuel hose is moulded both sides of the tank, a swine to fit but no leaking, i am sure you cannot fit the 281 fuel hose in a 181 tank

Yes they were supplied through a dealer in a green box, no green parts were available, it may well have had a new cylinder if it has a single ring, it also had a smaller main bearing on the flywheel size, the 480 fuel hose is moulded both sides of the tank, a swine to fit but no leaking, i am sure you cannot fit the 281 fuel hose in a 181 tank

Not had it torn down and no need to, seen almost no action and machining marks still on the piston, would say it may be original but don't know the history. It didn't come with the MOD wooden box but have seen them come up now and then.

Will see how it goes now the porting is up to scratch and with the new fuel line.

The standard timing was pretty conservative, the exhaust duration was pretty low as was the inlet and the blowdown was pretty low at 18 degrees, I raised the exhaust, lowered the inlet and lowered the blowdown and left the base gasket out.

The muffler had the baffle drilled but looks standard from the outside - as said before, the carb rev limiter was blanked off so I can get the revs up!

Those that know me know that I have a 181SE ex Army green Husky in my collection. I rarely get to use it but on our "boys day out" a while ago, I gave it a good blast and it was PANTS.

I had mildly ported it and it really bogged - found out why today. I thought I would go back through the porting and check it out and made some significant changes. I then took the high speed restrictor out of the carb and capped it - this stops you leaning the saw out and when ported.

I then checked the fuel line and bingo - it was split so have one on order now - looking forward to trying it again:thumbup:

Aye, we've got one of those too. For a husky it's a great saw ;) It came in the wooden army box too.

Aye, we've got one of those too. For a husky it's a great saw ;) It came in the wooden army box too.

I was lucky to catch that split fuel pipe but guess that rev limiter on the carb may have saved it but with the work I have done, it must go - thats the limiter not the saw!

Got a local guy with some big beech to cut up so may well try it out on that:thumbup:

Edited by spudulike

Justice!!! Im eligible for a full refund plus postage and packing :biggrin: just need to send it back and provide a tracking number to PayPal :thumbup1:

Thanks again guys :thumbup:

Excellent news, salvation at last.

Just been out with this ported 181SE of mine, 24" bar, full length, goes like a train and pulls like one, it is bonkers:thumbup: