What's on your bench today?

spudulike

No, that saw has always been a ts510, it has an orange base-plate on the air filter. The original Fairbanks starter is now obsolete, and has been replaced by the newer starter, but most parts are still available. To make the pump work, you need to fit a worm gear

Hi Eddie, I see what you mean about the orange filter base. I think it's a ts 50 not a ts510 by looking at pics on internet and the exhaust is exposed on a ts 50 and covered on a ts 510

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419975323.500518.jpg.8164d756554f4534a7c1a0af775597c3.jpg

But I may be wrong and if I am correct me

Thanks will

Your cup is worn out, they're obsolete, rare and fairly expensive now, £20-30 a shot (ok, not as expensive as a new starter and flywheel).

I've tried re-grooving but that doesn't last long.

Also, with any of the first series saws 1106-1115, the identifying features should be taken with a pinch of salt, as the Stihl factory slapped them together in any random order.

You can mig weld a few fine lines in the cup in place of the worn out grooves and its a "get you thru" method. Bit heavy handed but it works.

You may find further issues re the oiling side of things like no hole to put the oil feed into the tank etc and several different oil pumps used ( some had more splines than others)

Also on most of the bigger 760's what should be the oil tank was actually made as an auxiliary fuel tank connected to the fuel tank so they need separating again.

Coupled with the fact you will then have to buy a new bar and chain (same fitment as 880) along with the parts you may want to work out cost involved.

If its a play project and learning curve then great but don't expect to make money on doing such a conversion.

Turned the dogs/ pawls round as they were worn on one side, put it back together and now they catch on the cup! It turns over, seems like plenty of compression I don't think it'll last long till they start slipping again tho. Managed to find a YouTube vid about a Fairbanks starter so cleaned it all and turned them round as suggested.

Yes I bought this saw as a project to do in the evenings and I realise I may have to spend quite a bit of money on it but it'll keep me out of mischief and hopefully I'll end up with a working saw. I'm going to start a thread about it cos I want to keep all the pics and info in one place