What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Hi Chaps

Thanks for replies, I cleaned off all the transfer before fitting piston the right way round!

Gunson reads 145psi. Plug sparking ok. Saw coughs on choke and then starts on fast idle but only runs for a couple of seconds and then quits. Really seems like fuel but I'm buggered if I can see why.

Hi Chaps

Thanks for replies, I cleaned off all the transfer before fitting piston the right way round!

Gunson reads 145psi. Plug sparking ok. Saw coughs on choke and then starts on fast idle but only runs for a couple of seconds and then quits. Really seems like fuel but I'm buggered if I can see why.

Have you reset the carb? The idle may be too lean or rich

Now that would kick a little:lol:

It did, a lot, pulled my shoulder out, pulled me over at one point and killed 3 starter rings in the process

Hi Chaps

It sounds like fuel starvation, wind out the L screw 2-3 turns and try it again, if it won't fire, try it on a single pull on choke and then back on fast idle again.

Make sure the thing hasn't got fuel in the bottom of the crankcase by removing he plug and pulling it over upside down like I said before.

If it still won't go, hold the throttle fully open with your right hand and pull it over with your left - no choke!

I have had a few bits dropped off by customers over the last week. First up is an MS025 which wouldn't start having not been used for a year. A quick clean of the air filter and some fresh fuel has got it running but it stalls when coming off the throttle, so need to retune the carb a bit. Before I can do that I need to it a new starter cord as the current one is broken.

Secondly I have a FS44 which is down on compression and the customer wants fixing as cheaply as possible. The cylinder looks in good shape so will give it a bit of a clean up and install new rings and see how it goes after that.

Finally the most interesting one is a jonsered 2083. Apparently it used to be a fantastic saw but just failed to start one day. A quick check down the exhaust port showed that it had seized. Unfortunately parts are no longer available. The cylinder is salvageable so I am fitting a piston from an 066 as it is a very close match, though is slightly taller from the top of the gudgeon pin hole to the crown so should have a bit more compression than standard. Now I just need to track down the cause of the seizure. A pressure and vaccum check showed it losing 2psi pressure over 8 minutes and then held steady, and it lost all vacuum in under 2 minutes. After lunch I will try and find which seal has gone, and then have some fun trying to find a suitable replacement.

IMG_20141004_130636.jpg.1b79039927a244d40df92f2be784d26b.jpg

IMG_20140924_114552.jpg.58e9fddef61a759eb0bd9fe0e1c1f49c.jpg

IMG_20141009_132031.jpg.499c48d9edcf891f4c5e63b76aa2d0a4.jpg

I have had a few bits dropped off by customers over the last week. First up is an MS025 which wouldn't start having not been used for a year. A quick clean of the air filter and some fresh fuel has got it running but it stalls when coming off the throttle, so need to retune the carb a bit. Before I can do that I need to it a new starter cord as the current one is broken.

Secondly I have a FS44 which is down on compression and the customer wants fixing as cheaply as possible. The cylinder looks in good shape so will give it a bit of a clean up and install new rings and see how it goes after that.

Finally the most interesting one is a jonsered 2083. Apparently it used to be a fantastic saw but just failed to start one day. A quick check down the exhaust port showed that it had seized. Unfortunately parts are no longer available. The cylinder is salvageable so I am fitting a piston from an 066 as it is a very close match, though is slightly taller from the top of the gudgeon pin hole to the crown so should have a bit more compression than standard. Now I just need to track down the cause of the seizure. A pressure and vaccum check showed it losing 2psi pressure over 8 minutes and then held steady, and it lost all vacuum in under 2 minutes. After lunch I will try and find which seal has gone, and then have some fun trying to find a suitable replacement.

To fit the 066 piston you will also have to remove a minor amount off the insides of the piston wrist pin holes as it wont fit over the small end of the conrod normally. You don't have to remove much. :thumbup1:

Why didn't you use the husky equivalent parts? The 281 and 288 pistons are the same, in 52 and 54mm respectively, although all technical data says the 2083 is 52mm and the 066 is 54mm