What's on your bench today?

spudulike

cheers broonie

Repair Products - Repairing Leather, Vinyl, Tile, Wood, Fabric & Cars - 25 Multi-Mender Glue

this seems the cheapest the prawn racing is only 1fl oz this is 2.

thanks very much spud and co. -

i didn't measure anything - maybe i should've- i went by the IPL - will let you know how i get on

No not Time Sert - they use screw taps that are specific to their inserts - PITA in my opinion!

The cheap stepped taps are pretty poor and brutal IMO - I will be using a HSS hand reamer for a much more accurate finish for the tap - the better the tapped hole, the stronger the bond.

I also will use a decent high temp thread lock - it has worked damn well on a MS460 before:thumbup:

Hi, helicoils win it for me, fitted hundreds of them mostly in bike engines, from 2BA up to pretty big, but, I know what you mean about the gas seal, it`s almost impossible to retap for the insert exactly square, so I got a 4 flute taper shank drill, the size of the spotface, ground down to the I.D. of the sparkplug thread for the first 1" to act as a mandrel and then sharpened each flute to act as a flat nose drill, a couple of twists by hand and it`s bang on true or stick it in the pillar drill if you can line it up. A good tool even when the plug thread`s fine but the face is damaged.

Great thread, did you start porting with the FS1E ?? Cheers, Euan.

Hi, helicoils win it for me, fitted hundreds of them mostly in bike engines, from 2BA up to pretty big, but, I know what you mean about the gas seal, it`s almost impossible to retap for the insert exactly square, so I got a 4 flute taper shank drill, the size of the spotface, ground down to the I.D. of the sparkplug thread for the first 1" to act as a mandrel and then sharpened each flute to act as a flat nose drill, a couple of twists by hand and it`s bang on true or stick it in the pillar drill if you can line it up. A good tool even when the plug thread`s fine but the face is damaged.

Great thread, did you start porting with the FS1E ?? Cheers, Euan.

I only wish I knew what I now know when I was 17 years old:001_rolleyes: The FS1E was bog apart from the baffles out and a funky glitter green paint job - think the little end was a bit rattly but it would do 50mph:thumbup:

I was more four strokes in those days, had a :thumbup:400/4 which was gas flowed, high rise cams, K&Ns, clip ons and oversize pisons,,,,,oh, and an Alpha exhaust:thumbup:

A stihl pole pruner in. This has been in before, the chain is turning when turning the engine over, it has had a new clutch and was what I thought sorted, but when it went to be used it was as it was before the clutch went in.

As with spud I take it personally that it is back in, it's really annoying. As I will get it so it doesn't spin, yet as soon as it goes back on site it plays up.

Am I missing something in the clutch assembly and drum? Is the shaft just too far into clutch?

A stihl pole pruner in. This has been in before, the chain is turning when turning the engine over, it has had a new clutch and was what I thought sorted, but when it went to be used it was as it was before the clutch went in.

As with spud I take it personally that it is back in, it's really annoying. As I will get it so it doesn't spin, yet as soon as it goes back on site it plays up.

Am I missing something in the clutch assembly and drum? Is the shaft just too far into clutch?

Yup, damn annoying and really gets me down - shouldn't be so hard on ourselves but pride is at stake on these repairs. Just got to make sure it is 100% before it goes out again - failing twice would be REALLY bad:thumbdown:

I want rid of mine for a 346:thumbup:

That's a shame. I have a 351......:lol::lol::lol:

Yup, damn annoying and really gets me down - shouldn't be so hard on ourselves but pride is at stake on these repairs. Just got to make sure it is 100% before it goes out again - failing twice would be REALLY bad:thumbdown:

Yeah tell me about it. It's just annoying, customer even saw it working fine when he picked it up....

Its got to be getting its drive from somewhere Rich, so logically its got to be picking up between the clutch shoes and the drum.

So firstly make sure the idle speed is slow enough and that its not something like a sticking throttle cable or carb butterfly shaft.

If thats OK, take the clutch apart and examine the inside of the drum to see where its is picking up. It could be on the periphery of the shoes ( which is correct) or on the outer face of the shoes if for some reason the clutch drum is too close to the shoes.

Its a bit of a pain to keep taking it apart, but spray some paint lightly over the shoes, and also inside the drum, then start it and run it without revs, and with the cutting head jammed.

Then take it apart again and see where it has picked up drive (or attempted to).

When you have found and rectified the problem, wash the paint off with carb cleaner before reassembly.

You lot are too hard on yourselves.

If I beat myself up every time I made a mistake I would be unable to work.