What's on your bench today?

spudulike

There should be little trouble with Heli-coil inserts.

Some 2 stroke engines had them as standard.

I made the mistake of buying one of the cheaper "helicoil Type" insert kits, and found the tap to be poor quality. I feel it is worth the expense in buying the best whatever the cost in this instance, no one likes mending something twice.

Real Helicoil for me next time.

H-A

husky fixed.

nice and simple, bearing seal was hanging off. replaced and used some bearing fit. now runs like a dream.

oh and i like the heated handles aswell. but did feel a bit warm after a while so had to turn it off. :lol:

Whats bearing fit rich? Still got a problem with a crankseal thst doesnt seal and virtually spins on the crankshaft.makita dc 401 strimmer.

Whats bearing fit rich? Still got a problem with a crankseal thst doesnt seal and virtually spins on the crankshaft.makita dc 401 strimmer.

This stuff.

Granville Granville Bearing Fit & Studlock 5ml Sealant Car Maintenance Adhesive | eBay

Never had a problem with it. It a not the same maker as what I use as I use the threadlock make. It's a bit like thread locking compound only for bearings. Just gives a bit of peace of mind and when applied wet I have found it helps the seal press in a bit easier.

There should be little trouble with Heli-coil inserts.

Some 2 stroke engines had them as standard.

I made the mistake of buying one of the cheaper "helicoil Type" insert kits, and found the tap to be poor quality. I feel it is worth the expense in buying the best whatever the cost in this instance, no one likes mending something twice.

Real Helicoil for me next time.

H-A

The low price reamer/ insert kits are utter crap, using a large drill to cut the initial hole is dodgy as the drill will snatch and open the hole up too much - not easy in a pillar drill either!

I have invested in the tapered tap and bottoming tap sets and hand reamers to get the job done right - the inserts can work but need good threaded seats for strength plus a good thread lock compound.

I have always frowned on helicoiled plug repair since owning a Yamaha FS1E and having it melt plugs due to a poorly fitted helicoil.

Will post images once I get it back - one of the issues was that the plug came loose and the exhaust gases escaping past it damaged the metal arround the plug seat - the re-tap wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be!

The next option is a carbon steel insert with 2mm wall thickness, if the tapped hole is good, it will be strong once done:thumbup:

Use "Sealall" that will offfer a long term fix, bearing lock is for clearance fit items and not larger gaps - JB weld is also a good gap filler but is sod to remove

This stuff.

Granville Granville Bearing Fit & Studlock 5ml Sealant Car Maintenance Adhesive | eBay

Never had a problem with it. It a not the same maker as what I use as I use the threadlock make. It's a bit like thread locking compound only for bearings. Just gives a bit of peace of mind and when applied wet I have found it helps the seal press in a bit easier.

Use "Sealall" that will offfer a long term fix, bearing lock is for clearance fit items and not larger gaps - JB weld is also a good gap filler but is sod to remove

Either one. :thumbup1:

But I have never use J B weld before.