Starting up on your own.

brothergrim

Just looking for a little advice on how others, set up on the own and any advice they may have for other people wanting to give it a shot. I'm 29 with ten years experience in arb, and I don't fancy working for some one else forever lol. I know there's a lot of people in the game but to me there's only the odd few who know what there doing. ! Any advice gratefully appreciated.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you know the tools side of the job,cost out the kit you need,insurance and advertising costs and how you are going to trasition from "on the books" to making your own way.Contract climbing and doing a bit of your own work seems to be the normal way.

Winter is a slack time for most unestablished firms,get you feelers out in the Autum for other income streams,any kind of work is still money.

All the best and keep at it.

Take a course on business management, accounting and marketing

Good advice that, I'm not sure what the deal is for you guys over the border, but Business Gateway here offer free workshops in a lot of the above. Although I'm not an Arb guy the ones I've attended were all a lot more beneficial than I'd expected them to be, so it'd be well worth a bit of investigation.

Cheers for the info guys, Iv recently started up and so far like you said subing out is a good days wage.

You can get quite a response by just putting a little content up on the web too . . .the wife made this in two hours http://www.treeconnection.co.uk

Good luck:biggrin:

Thanks for the good advice some good points there, I would be interested in contract climbing., but Im unsure how get started? what is a decent rate?, Id have to be self employed?? who would you approach for work?, I know this sounds like i want all the work doing for me, but Id be grateful of the advice.

thanks

Thanks for the good advice some good points there, I would be interested in contract climbing., but Im unsure how get started? what is a decent rate?, Id have to be self employed?? who would you approach for work?, I know this sounds like i want all the work doing for me, but Id be grateful of the advice.

thanks

Ring around and ask. You don't, you dont get>:lol:

I pay £100 average for contract climbers supplying their own top handle and C Kit.

I ask for certs CS38,39,40,41, FA, in date. i.e. within 5 year refreshers. Also 6 month lolered C Kit. Often over looked but necassary for a 'proffesional'! :blushing:

thanks

Ring around and ask. You don't ask, you dont get>:lol:

I pay £100 average for contract climbers supplying their own top handle and C Kit.

I ask for certs CS38,39,40,41, FA, in date. i.e. within 5 year refreshers. Also 6 month lolered C Kit. Often over looked but necassary for a 'proffesional'! :blushing: