Are logs a sideline or a full time business ?

Dave Martin

i find if you dont answer that phone straight away the customer simply moves straight on to next ad without even puttin the phone down for a sec.... i'm talkin of dozens and dozens of times i'll ring the no back within 20 secs of gettin a missed call to find the line engaged and when i do get through i'd say 7 outta 10 times they've gone somewhere else... this also happens with customers ringing up for skips... yeah you'l get few that want to shop around and get 2or 3 prices but not often in my experience...

Snap .. if for any reason I miss a call (which is not very often) I phone back and grovel for forgiveness for not answering immediately.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snap .. if for any reason I miss a call (which is not very often) I phone back and grovel for forgiveness for not answering immediately.

i have 3 land line no's that are usually diverted to 3 different mobiles... or to 1 when not that busy... 1 for skips and 2 for logs and tree work.. i have them all on a long ring before answer phone kicks in so can usually finish conversation on one phone then answer other.. if its a tree job i'm on phone too have been known to cut them off to answer another phone or take a call thats waiting on same phone.. then ring back apologisin for being in a "bad area"..

i have 3 land line no's that are usually diverted to 3 different mobiles... or to 1 when not that busy... 1 for skips and 2 for logs and tree work.. i have them all on a long ring before answer phone kicks in so can usually finish conversation on one phone then answer other.. if its a tree job i'm on phone too have been known to cut them off to answer another phone or take a call thats waiting on same phone.. then ring back apologisin for being in a "bad area"..

Top man :biggrin: you will go far :thumbup:

I dont know if you can make a full time business depends on your area and how many people are doing it. I have a rule dont buy more cord than you can afford to sit on till next year. Because if the winds come in oct and blow all the trees over you wont be selling it. At £52 a tonne + vat delivered I cant afford to sit on much. The last two winters have been good especially with the popularity of woodburners going in.

Steve are you related to the robot in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy :biggrin:

HI nick not going to get your hay in if on the phone all day:lol: or the corn mate all the best jon :thumbup:

FWIW, the type of customer who rings around is usually the same one who wants the cheapest deal. NOT my type of customer, but then again I only "play" with firewood and is approx 7 or 8% of my annual turnover.

It does however have to pay its way, hence I will never be the cheapest, and never have a massive turn over from it, but what I do sell is high quality and would say year on year I keep 95% of my old customers. These customers are the ones who do my advertising and give word of mouth to new customers, and they are the type who will leave a message on the ans phone and wait for me to call them back.

Not everyones cup of tea, but works well for me.