Help choosing first arb truck

s.mouse

hi new to the site think its gr8 by the way! im 19 and looking to buy a truck around September for delivering firewood and doing tree work just insurance is crippling for something like a hillux or tranny tipper etc... used to have a little skoda pickup but not really a serious work truck, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions and how did you start off etc... any input would be very appreciated btw. thanks scott.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

get a trailer and use the skoda pickup aswell (if you still have it)- i know where your coming from insurance wise , but u would have to get businss usage on your insurance 'if' you wanted it to be above board - thou with you being so young not sure on weight restrictions .

i started with my ex-army landrover 90 with sankey trailer/chipbox - it did the job for a while but soon got sick, especialy getting some1 else to tow the chipper

ye lol thanks was thinking pickup and trailer but i would still be limited to around 1.5m3 of logs at a time as the restriction is 750kg with a trailer includin the trailers weight ... however not sure how much weight the pickup would pull lol. no longer have the truck using it all day every day for 8 months killed the preg!!! thanks for your advice tho.

I would say get a cheap transit size tipper, but I don't have to pay the insurance.

How much would you have to pay at your age?

cant get a quote for business insurance for a tipper!! wuld love 1 tho, social dom and pleasure quote is 9,000!

Let your budget decide for you. My first was a tatty diahatsu fourtrack, then I picked up an old trailer, luckily the owner let me do work for it:)

got about 2,000 to spend plus whatever for insurance... i say whatever on insurance but hoping to keep it under 9,000 way under!!

You need to find a decent old pickup, old landy or similar and get a trailer. The newer it is the worse the premium will be.

You may find insurance is well cheap on a lada riva. Or for a wee van a suzuki carry is a good buy, cheap to insure and to run.