Epi Pens

Ford Forester

Hi all,

Just wondering what thoughts you had on this. As I understand it, you cannot be given or prescribed an Epi Pen for wasp/bee stings unless you have actually suffered a bad reaction or anaphylactic shock previously. On my last First Aid update, I was told that even if you've been stung before, you can still have a reaction and that there have been instances of beekeepers of 20 odd years standing ending up in hospital due to stings. My point is...

Surely, given the remoteness of our work, the fact that we routinely annoy wasps, bees and hornets, and the fact that any of us could have a severe reaction and may not be in a position to phone 999 with grid location for access or helicopter landing pad, we should be able as professionals to carry such medication in our first aid kits. You could hardly use it recreationally as there is only one shot per pen and it would be suspicious if you made numerous requests for replacments. Any thoughts on this? I could start a campaign!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take your point, but a guy I worked with out Northampton way was stung by hornets a few months ago and had to go to hospital. He reckons he was just lucky to be working within 10 minutes drive of it. If he was deep in the woods and had to call an ambulance he was told he might not have made it. They gave him a pen. He said "Thanks, but its a bit late now."

I agree with hama my oldest son has a severe peanut allergy and has to carry epipens its not something to do lightly and the persons suitably has to be considered, me and the wife did a course on how to use epipens. I personaly think that this is medics territory

I am thinking of asking my GP actually. I reckon I have found about 4 nests in the ground in the last fortnight. They generally don't like it much when you crash a tree on their roof! Maybe because they give me the jitters I tend to see one floating around and lift my visor up to see where the bugger came from, so I see the nest before its too late It just worries me that you generally don't have what you need just when you needed it most. (Is that a song??!)

I steer well clear of hornets as much as possible, I even let my boss take over one day last year because hornets had found the willow riddled with the boozey fermenting bark with armillaria so much of a lure they wouldnt leave the tree alone and I refused to work.

he was lucky to not get stung by one, but thats his chance to take.

I suffered anafalactic shock (however you spell it),a year ago after being attacked by the euro wasp while climbing.

First time for me & I have been stung before by normal wasps.

I got an epi pen after consulting my GP,they were reluctant to let me have one,but on explaining what I did they relented.

I cant see why there should not be one in the first aid kit,provided correct training given to the first aider,but I'm no medic so its just my thoughts on the subject.

It could prove a life saver,and is easy to apply,just bang it into a large muscle group.

I suffered anafalactic shock (however you spell it),a year ago after being attacked by the euro wasp while climbing.

First time for me & I have been stung before by normal wasps.

I got an epi pen after consulting my GP,they were reluctant to let me have one,but on explaining what I did they relented.

I cant see why there should not be one in the first aid kit,provided correct training given to the first aider,but I'm no medic so its just my thoughts on the subject.

It could prove a life saver,and is easy to apply,just bang it into a large muscle group.

What if someone other than the first aider got their hands on it?

A first aider can’t give you so much as an aspirin, no pills lotions or potions. They can’t even administer your own medication.

I take your point, but a guy I worked with out Northampton way was stung by hornets a few months ago and had to go to hospital. He reckons he was just lucky to be working within 10 minutes drive of it. If he was deep in the woods and had to call an ambulance he was told he might not have made it. They gave him a pen. He said "Thanks, but its a bit late now."

Having got over the trauma of his experience I'll bet he doesn't think that way about it now; what about next time? God forbid there is one but if there is that pen could well save his life.

Prescription of them is down to a GP and relevant people are given training in how to use them. This is often parents/guardians.

Info from my wife, who runs the health centre for a private school with 160 boarders. There are three Epipen-carrying kids in the school (not all boarders).

The pens are lifesavers so your original sentiment is well placed. If your mate genuinely believes that his life is at risk here he needs to speak to his GP in some depth.

Reactions to stings are common but thankfully extreme reactions are rare. I think that current arrangements are sensible though I accept that I may change that view if faced with anaphylaxis.

Best thing is to keep some Piriton or cetirizine tablets handy: for fastest action the patient should chew them. They won't deal fully with an extreme reaction but every little helps, especially if given fast. Bear in mind though that you shouldn't drive or operate machinery after taking Piriton (void insurance if you have an accident!) Cetirizine is non-drowsy and longer-lasting.

Jon

A first aider can’t give you so much as an aspirin, no pills lotions or potions. They can’t even administer your own medication.

Nonsense isn't it. A few years ago a farmer friend of mine was told to remove the paracetamol from his First Aid kits in the tractors by an H&S inspector. The reason? To remove the temptation for the driver to try and top himself with them!

Did I mention that the farm is on a peninsular with 50+ft cliffs on two sides?!:001_tt2: