Do sticky gloves cause wrist problems???

skyhuck

I have only started using the sticky type gloves in the last couple of years, before that I never wore gloves at all.

I really like them, they are great for climbing and I like the fact that they keep my hands warmer which must help with "white finger".

However I have had far more wrist injury's while using them than I ever had before. The fact that they increase your grip must increase the forces your wrist has to cope with. Its mainly when handling bits of cord wood that I get injury's.

Our ankles grow strong enough to cope with our wearing shoes, so I'm hopping that in time my wrists will adapt and I will get less sprains and tweaks.

Any one else had similar??

I have only started using the sticky type gloves in the last couple of years, before that I never wore gloves at all.

I really like them, they are great for climbing and I like the fact that they keep my hands warmer which must help with "white finger".

However I have had far more wrist injury's while using them than I ever had before. The fact that they increase your grip must increase the forces your wrist has to cope with. Its mainly when handling bits of cord wood that I get injury's.

Our ankles grow strong enough to cope with our wearing shoes, so I'm hopping that in time my wrists will adapt and I will get less sprains and tweaks.

Any one else had similar??

I would have thought not.

I think wrists would not have to exert as much force on the lump because the gloves are providing more friction. I appreciate that greater forces could be acting on the wrist but only if you're lifting heavier lumps with your increased-friction grip. I would also imagine that any adjustment that the wrists would make would occur well within a couple of years.

Maybe your work has changed over the years, or you're just getting old (er). :001_rolleyes:

When I started wearing gloves I started getting tennis elbow, i stopped wearing gloves and no longer get tennis elbow, when we wear gloves after never having done so i think it alters the way we grip and the way that our muscles are worked, forcing them to adapt to a new way of working after a lifetimes established pattern is bound to cause issues.

i no longer wear gloves, and will NEVER wear them again whilst climbing.

IMO gloves do not cause wrist problems, however repetitive motion injuries such as Carpal tunnel syndrome and tennis elbow and rotator cuff injuries are more than likely the reason your wrist hurts. These injuries are mainly due to improperly holding or using certain types of equipment for very long periods of time. Everything is connected to one degree or another. I was showing a gent my lifting harness yesterday and he was telling me he works with a extended power hedger for searing Christmas trees. This man said right away that the trigger handle on the power hedger would have to be turned 90 degrees in the opposite direction?. Sadly I could see why since over the many years of use he had developed a bit of a Chicken arm from shearing the trees. I explained that he would not have to work against the hedger any more in conjunction with the harness and he was willing to try. Just to see the pain he was in from so many years of the improper use troubled me But I believe he will be better in the future.

Working smarter not harder is and always will be the key to any successful operation.

All the best.

elg

I've got bad wrists. A physiotherapist said there was thickening of the tendons or something like that. I can't get into the flat hand press-up position any longer. I'm going to get wrist wraps to support them when doing anything like pressups or chin-ups. The physio said that I wouldn't get weaker wrists through using them. She also said that it could be treated by acupunture but its costly

yes we use the orange gripz gloves from arco when using the processor. When a wet log slips out your hand it hits the floor when wearing these gloves you recover it and sprain your wrists. The extra grip also gives you more confidence to pick up larger cord.

I had very bad wrist problems for a while, it was painful to even pick up a cup of coffee, I had a couple of sessions with my physio who worked on my hands and lower arms solving the problem, I no longer get wrist trouble.

Edited by High Scale
sp.