I Ported my 346XP

spudulike

That sounds ace :thumbup: Bet it's an awesome little thinning saw now

I used to grab my muffler modded 345 whenever there is wood in the offering but that hasn't been out in a while now - it is a great saw and just keeps going and sounds fab - not sure the village I live in agrees:thumbup:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spud. If I ever get my 346 back from my dealer (running probs I mentioned to you before ) Would you work on it for me as you have done yours . ? Will pay the going rate of course . It seems to me you could pull an 8 or even a 9 pin rim on it now with a 15 inch bar . Serious chain speed ! ! I am an old git and am from the BSA bantam / C 15 era. Ariel arrow was my weapon actually . I am impressed with yourr knowledge / research. ( major sucking up going on now !:001_tt2:) But would be really interested if you would do a job on mine > Best regards Andy.

Spud. If I ever get my 346 back from my dealer (running probs I mentioned to you before ) Would you work on it for me as you have done yours . ? Will pay the going rate of course . It seems to me you could pull an 8 or even a 9 pin rim on it now with a 15 inch bar . Serious chain speed ! ! I am an old git and am from the BSA bantam / C 15 era. Ariel arrow was my weapon actually . I am impressed with yourr knowledge / research. ( major sucking up going on now !:001_tt2:) But would be really interested if you would do a job on mine > Best regards Andy.

Thanks Andy - Aerial Arrow, BSA Bantam - my brother was the British Bike enthusiast so know the bikes and seen a few in my time:thumbup:

I am happy to do the Spud tune on your saw as I have learnt on mine and know it works, the only thing you need to tell me is if it is 50cc and if it has a black or blue coil. If the coil is a blue one, we will need to lose it and get a black one!

The saw is blinding and bloody loud but I love it:thumbup:

Sounds the biz that Spud!

Used mine yesterday for the first time and wow its a proper beast, just sings up to full speed so quickly. Also the heated grips really do work, my hands were toasty verging on too hot with the thermal gloves i was wearing!

I know why you have tuned yours but the increase in noise it not something i would want to live with if i am going to be using it for work on a weekly basis.

Sounds the biz that Spud!

Used mine yesterday for the first time and wow its a proper beast, just sings up to full speed so quickly. Also the heated grips really do work, my hands were toasty verging on too hot with the thermal gloves i was wearing!

I know why you have tuned yours but the increase in noise it not something i would want to live with if i am going to be using it for work on a weekly basis.

Mine was tuned as a project saw and to show what is possible - to get the full benefit out of a modern saw you really need to open up the exhaust a bit to get it breathing - mine was to the maximum on port size and opening the muffler up but you could open it up to less. The 346 has no internal baffles in the exhaust.

I still have a little to go on the squish if I wanted -running at 0.65mm and reckon I can take that down to 0.5mm and that would up the compression another 5-10 psi but am running at 170psi at the mo so not too shabby.

This isn't a work saw although I now tend to grab it as a favourite if there is free wood about.

Youo are right about the willingness to rev -no lag, no messing about, a ring ting ting to a screaming wail in a nano second:thumbup:

Hi Steve/spud. Thanks for getting back mate. I have just phoned my dealer ( DM Chainsaws , Walberton West Sussex ) and the guy is baffeled . The new carb did not work so he put the old one back on . Bearing in mind it still has these problems to sort would you still be willing to take it on ? It is 50cc with de comp , think its the black coil . 07 model as I recall . Regards Andy.

Hi Steve/spud. Thanks for getting back mate. I have just phoned my dealer ( DM Chainsaws , Walberton West Sussex ) and the guy is baffeled . The new carb did not work so he put the old one back on . Bearing in mind it still has these problems to sort would you still be willing to take it on ? It is 50cc with de comp , think its the black coil . 07 model as I recall . Regards Andy.

Firstly I would fix the saw, get it running sweetly and then after testing it, would tear it down and do the work, there is little point in porting a saw and doing work on the muffler etc without it running well first - I would need to take it step by step.

I am well up on 346, 345, 350, 357 models and know their little issues:thumbup:

Perhaps the thing to do is to send it in and lets get it running, discuss costs and then see if porting is still viable. I am taking it that your piston and cylinder are in good shape - I would do a health check on the saw before doing any tuning - just makes sense to me to do it this way!

I really started to notice the ring ting after two tank fills today, made me smile...

Yours sounded like the tz250 I worked on when my mate did the Manx gp 10 odd yrs ago! A proper tuned 2stroke on the boil is one of my fav sounds.

Yup - love it, it also makes some interesting noises if you hold it on mid revs as well - sort of snarls a bit:thumbup:

TZ250 - pro am racing - those were the days!