Gutless Husky 235

MikeTM150

Right, i'm in need of some help (surprise surprise!)

I brought a husky 235 chainsaw with a 15" bar nigh on two years ago now. I brought it for the lighter work around the farm and cutting up firewood. The first time i used it i was v.unimpressed, but being a new saw i thought i'll give it a few tankfuls to loosen up. It became impossible to start and about as much power as a dead donkey, i fiddled with it and then gave in and took it back to dealer but couldn't find anything wrong and they said they tested and found to be fine. So i persevered for a bit longer on and off prefering to use the bigger husky 365 or my more recent aquisition a Sthil MS880 (i went to sthil cuz of the problems the little husky though i love the 365!)

I then took it to a different dealer who looked at it, and said they cleaned and re-set the carb. I still find it useless, starting is better maybe 10 pulls to start hot or cold (bearing in mind the 880 is two maybe three any temp) and still struggles to drive its own chain and stalls pretty muchinstantly if u use more than light pressure on 3" timber.:confused1:

Now it has been suggested it might be the fact that i'm 6'6" tall, built like a brick **** house and used to using a MS880, and its just not man enough for me. But surely it should be able to drive its own chain around and cut kindling...............

Any Suggestions greatly recieved!!:biggrin:

PS U can also suggest a replacement for it thats gonna put a smile on my face!!

Edited by MikeTM150

i was using my jonsered 2150 on saterday,then switched to my husky 288 for some bigger wood, then went back to the 2150,i kept bogging it and felt gutless after the bigger saw, im not a big bloke but the change in power can catch you out, your bar isnt bent is it?? cheers

Its a small saw - only way to get it going ok is to do what stihl do on their 170/180s - short bar 1.1mm narrow kerf chain - anything more and 35cc just won't cut the mustard.

If you want a budget replacement I would go for a 345 or 350 - lots of wallop in those saws and still very light:thumbup:

Used my 345 lots - the saw to grab when a bit of logging is in the offering!

235 is a poulan 3516 basically with coil spring AV. Both have 35cc poulan heart. I took one in on trade and I muffler modded it and retuned carb, was lots better.

Run some stihl ps3 my first choice, pmc or oregon vxl or carlton and it sawed alot better.

435 is a lighter and faster cutting husky built saw.

Right, i'm in need of some help (surprise surprise!)

I brought a husky 235 chainsaw with a 15" bar nigh on two years ago now. I brought it for the lighter work around the farm and cutting up firewood. The first time i used it i was v.unimpressed, but being a new saw i thought i'll give it a few tankfuls to loosen up. It became impossible to start and about as much power as a dead donkey, i fiddled with it and then gave in and took it back to dealer but couldn't find anything wrong and they said they tested and found to be fine. So i persevered for a bit longer on and off prefering to use the bigger husky 365 or my more recent aquisition a Sthil MS880 (i went to sthil cuz of the problems the little husky though i love the 365!)

I then took it to a different dealer who looked at it, and said they cleaned and re-set the carb. I still find it useless, starting is better maybe 10 pulls to start hot or cold (bearing in mind the 880 is two maybe three any temp) and still struggles to drive its own chain and stalls pretty muchinstantly if u use more than light pressure on 3" timber.:confused1:

Now it has been suggested it might be the fact that i'm 6'6" tall, built like a brick **** house and used to using a MS880, and its just not man enough for me. But surely it should be able to drive its own chain around and cut kindling...............

Any Suggestions greatly recieved!!:biggrin:

PS U can also suggest a replacement for it thats gonna put a smile on my face!!

its a very small saw what can you expect,,, if u wanted a powerful small saw you should have bought a 346xp or a 357xp. however it shouldnt take 10 pulls to fire,,, my 346xp fires after 1 pull and starts after 2 more

its a very small saw what can you expect,,, if u wanted a powerful small saw you should have bought a 346xp or a 357xp. however it shouldnt take 10 pulls to fire,,, my 346xp fires after 1 pull and starts after 2 more

now thats the kind of advice i like, should have come here first see and asked what to get!!! So the simple answer is get rid of this saw on ebay and buy a new one, are is the 346xp the same sort of weight (kg) as my 235???

now thats the kind of advice i like, should have come here first see and asked what to get!!! So the simple answer is get rid of this saw on ebay and buy a new one, are is the 346xp the same sort of weight (kg) as my 235???

235 pho 10.3lbs

346 OE pho 45cc 10.6lbs

346 NE pho 50cc 11lbs