storm of 1987

David Riding

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in St. Leonards-on-Sea at the time, I remember walking back from 'The Duke' pub thinking it was unseasonably warm.

I slept through the storm:001_smile:, let the wife go out to work early the next morning.....

She said she thought it a bit strange that the local petrol station roof was flapping up and down like that......

There was a picture of a little church with the steeple knocked off and sitting in the carpark, that was at the end of our road.

I remember seeing the pictures in the observer and the fencing round the church for a while :)

I can remember going off milking that morning about 6am on my motor bike and seeing all these broken branches and hedge trees down all the way galvanise and blocked roads took me an hour to get to the farm and when I got there farmhouse roof on its back behind the house unbelievable

This photo is for Eggs :thumbup::thumbup:

Hello mate thanks mate :thumbup::thumbup:

I remember talking to a FC forester a day or 2 after the storm,he was in charge of a fairly big area at that time. We were talking in some forestry areas where, without the benefits of beech shelter belts,whole sides of compartments were blown in with all the devastation with which we are now familiar .

He was absolutely dumbfounded and kept saying 'we wont be able to clear this up in my lifetime' He was what i suppose we would nowadays describe as being stressed out.

Occasionally, i pass through those stands and i remember him clearly, the way he walked up the rides,as if in a trance,and sitting in his motor, not quite believing what he saw, but his words did come true as he died shortly after his retirement, and the signs of that storm are still there for those whose eyes can see it.

They re-named Sevenoaks to Oneoak.

I had to go to work through Warley Woods near Brentwood and it took me a few goes to find a clear road. I remember looking over towards Dunton and Billericay and seeing the sky lit up from things falling on the overhead electricity wires and saw a woman hugging onto a tree in the High Street, trying to stay upright.