Gets my vote

Mesterh

I disagree with the death penalty although I can see why people would support it. Hard to say if my view would change if my family were murdered, but I hope my ethics would stand up.

Stuff like this is much more progressive and healing for society in my opinion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_and_Reconciliation_Commission_(South_Africa)

Edited by Paul Barton
link wrong

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommer i have not been to prison but i know people who have and they are still the same waste of space they were before, if not even more so. I come from a rough place where violence is the norm and no amount of being nice to them works, in fact its worse than ever and partly the reason why i dont stay there anymore and will never go back. Scum should be treated like scum and not given any rights at all IMO and the worst ones should be taken out of society for good. Its our money that is feeding them and giving them all the mod cons. Some even come out of prison better criminals!

Its all very well for people to shout human rights and we should be helping them to become better people but until you live amongst them and know exactly what kind of people they actually are then you have no right to say anything from your lovely sheltered existence.

To the very few criminals that do change their ways then i salute you but the majority are mindless scum and are better off the streets on bread and water and swimming in their own mess.

My rant is over, time to be a happy person again until some scumbag spoils it.

This is another interesting read, The financials of the death penalty as even imprisoning people for life from 20 to 80 years old works out cheaper than death.

I know there's probably some on here that would offer their services to help cut costs, but things like this have to be done by people with the correct certs etc (CS 92, decapitation using MS880).

An abstract, regarding DP in times of recession...

In Florida, a mid-year budget cut of $45 million for the Department of Corrections forced the early release of 3,000 inmates.(10) Yet, by 1988 Florida had spent $57.2 million to accomplish the execution of 18 people.(11) It costs six times more to execute a person in Florida than to incarcerate a prisoner for life with no parole.(12) In contrast, Professors Richard Moran and Joseph Ellis estimated that the money it would take to implement the death penalty in New York for just five years would be enough to fund 250 additional police officers and build prisons for 6,000 inmates.(13)

Edited by Daniël Bos

What is the answer then? For many many years, execution was the way, for many crimes not just murder. As recently as the Napoleonic Wars, you could and would be executed for stealing an apple. This was to deter looting from the locals to build a better relationship with them, early hearts and minds. But hunger and the desire to eat meant people would still thieve to eat. Execution was no deterrent when the belly was empty. Nor is it a deterrent to murderers, just look at those countries where capital punishment still exists.

However, we do need something to discourage those that will take lives, prison just doesnt work, execution doesnt work, so what will? Yes they need removal from society, to protect us all, but just wasting time in a cell is too costly and inefficient.

I do believe murderers have lost their human rights by stealing anothers life, and they should be tasked with useful duties such as mine-clearing in Afghan, and if they survive a tour, then they are given a licence to go back into the public arena, with one strike and they are back inside.

what would the one strike be? killing another innocent person?

Good idea making use of them for clearing mines though:thumbup1:

as for the cost of execution then that just seems to me they are not doing it right if it costs that much. The murderer in the first place certainly wouldnt have spent that kind of money taking someones life.:thumbdown:

Its not "an eye for an eye".

Its about the removal of those that refuse to live in a way that allows a safe, secure and civilized society.

We allready remove the liberty, its almost as though they are kept alive to let them see what they are missing.

If they are deemed to no longer be fit to live in normal society, why keep them alive?? that to me seems barbaric.

To me these people should just be rubbed out, not out of vengeance, but just to allow every one else to live a better life and as a deterrent to others.

Lots of people don't fit into a 'normal society'. If you want to live in a safe, secure and civilized society then you would need the 'removal' of murderers, burglers, drug dealers, fraudsters, drink drivers and numerous other people. Do you propose to hang em all?

I don't agree with the death penalty as there will always be doubt in certain cases as to wether a person is guilty. If new evidence came to light a few years later then it would be too late for them. However, I do agree in severe punishment for criminals. Life should mean life. Burglars and other petty criminals should be made to clean all the rubbish off our streets and roads. If they refuse to do it, then throw them in a cell with just a bed and a toilet. This is just my opinion. Changing the subject, I do agree with skyhucks opinions about NPTC tickets and refreasher training

Its not "an eye for an eye".

To me these people should just be rubbed out, not out of vengeance, but just to allow every one else to live a better life and as a deterrent to others.

States in the USA that have the death penalty, have the highest murder rates. It does not act as a deterrent. It enforces the view that life is cheap - http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/documents/FactSheet.pdf

When we had capital punishment, innocent people were executed for crimes they didn't commit. In countries that still have capital punishment, innocent people are still executed for crimes they didn't commit and if the death penalty was reinstated, innocent people would be executed for crimes they didn't commit.

The prison system is the biggest racket of all. The USA being a prime example with them locking up 743 per 100,000 of their population into privately owned, profit driven prisons :( Americans only represent about 5% of the world's population, 25% of the world's inmates are incarcerated in the United States. What an excellent model to follow. Oh, yeah, we are lol

Punishment and prison are no answer. The death penalty is punishment, plain and simple. An act of aggressive hate and revenge, so like I said before, no surprise coming from the UK gov.

Lots of people don't fit into a 'normal society'. If you want to live in a safe, secure and civilized society then you would need the 'removal' of murderers, burglers, drug dealers, fraudsters, drink drivers and numerous other people. Do you propose to hang em all?

If my wife or children lost their lives at the hands of a drunk driver....then absolutely id want to see them hanged