Japanese Knotweed, Direct Stem Injection.

richy_B

Hello all,

I've been dealing with Japanese Knotweed for a few years and last year began stem injecting. I wanted to ask what concentrations people have been using and which chemical?

From doing some research it seems only Roundup Pro Biactive (360 or 450) can 'legally' be used for direct stem injection. I used the 360 version and experimented with 2ml per stem neat and 4ml with 50/50 dilute with water. I've found the dilute easier to work with but of course you need to reload more often. I've also 'heard of someone' using a more common amenity glyphosate (Gallup Biograde Amenity) at similar concentrations with the good results.

I've also recently been asked a best practise question in regards cleaning out the gun after use. Obviously in reality it differs but if you were in a demonstration/assessment setting what you say? I said if you wanted to be very safe you could refill the canister with just water then spray it till empty into an used pesticide container which was then disposed of by a authorised waste contractor. Couldn't really come up with a text book answer. Any ideas?

• 3 years later...

I have been having good results with a 20/1 mix that is squirted into a cut stem below a node. i was part of some triales in Cornwall many years ago, and the weaker mixes had a better kill rate. The reason being the chemical was much more mobile and the uptake greater. I left Cornwall before they completed the trials, but the knotweed i have been treating seam to bear this out.

What stem injection equipment have people found the best ?

How about the multi dose sheep injection equipment? Its cheap, easy to get from an agri store & proven technology. Would be easy to limit the depth of injection by fitting a tube to the needle.

You could even pipe it up to a back pack sprayer container for virtually unlimited capacity (2500 x 4ml doses per 10L capacity).

I have been carrying out injections for about 2 years now and had really good results from 2ml of neat round up. I was asked a similar question with regards to cleaning out and gave a very similar answer to you. The local authority I work for were happy with that and as I said I've had great results. Would be interested to see if anyone else has any different ideas or techniques.

while were on the subject of roundup what ratio should i mix gallup 360 for general use cheers

From their advert "Due to its industrial strength; Gallup 360 5 Litres dilutes to make over 666 litres (dilution guide: 300ml in every 10 litres of water) and will immediately kill and knock down any weeds wherever they are present."