Tree Life online lecture.

sean

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote : "... is it merely a decayer of non-living wood as suggested by Ted Green or is it a dangerous pathogen ..."

I would have liked to attend the lecture, participate in the discussion and contribute my field research experience, but can not join the "party" on that date. If taken part in the debate, I would have brought up the following questions and remarks.

1. On how many documented cases and what kind of in situ and in vitro short and/or long term research on the effects of M. giganteus on which tree species is the lecture and are the opinions of Dave Dawson and Ted Green based ? Were all the trees solitary or were forest trees, which were part of "intact" tree specific ecosystems, also included ?

2. Have the tree species specific strategies of M. giganteus on with ectomycorrhizae associated tree species such as Fagus, Quercus robur/Q. rubra, Betula, Populus, Tilia, Carpinus and Corylus, and on tree species associated with endomycorrhizal microfungi, such as Aesculus, Fraxinus, Acer, Platanus, Ulmus, Malus and Metasequia, and the tree species specific reaction strategies, such as developing a secundary root system or (70 % sterile) panic fruiting, taken into account ?

3. Being a (slow) biotrophic parasitic species, the mycelium of M. giganteus always has to be connected to living tissue to be able to decompose dead wood from which the annual brackets are formed.

4. Has the interaction between M. giganteus and other root, buttresses and trunk base parasites such as K. deusta (on Fagus and Tilia) been researched and documented ?

5. Has the - in my opinion and experience - "fairytale" of trees being able to "overgrow" an infection by M. giganteus "on the long run" been confirmed or turned down ?

6. What would be the advice if M. giganteus and/or the tree has started panic fruiting ?

I will do my best to express these questions if the chance arises.

I am very keen to know more about your "fairytale viewpoint"

The U.K arb scene has much to gain/glean from your work/input Gerrit:thumbup1:

I am very keen to know more about your "fairytale viewpoint"

I took it to mean that he thinks its wishful thinking and that is unlikey to happen.

I'm interested in point 3 - as i regularly see fruiting bodies appearing in the years after infected stumps have been ground out.

I took it to mean that he thinks its wishful thinking and that is unlikey to happen.

I'm interested in point 3 - as i regularly see fruiting bodies appearing in the years after infected stumps have been ground out.

Ive got a heavy leaner in whip, been fruiting for years. ted greens got an image of one thats formed entirely new root crown ten years after fruits appeared.:confused1:

the meripilus needs to be resolved for sure:001_huh:

1. I took it to mean that he thinks its wishful thinking and that is unlikey to happen.

2. I'm interested in point 3 - as i regularly see fruiting bodies appearing in the years after infected stumps have been ground out.

Tony & Tony,

1. I meant, that after "travelling outside in" on the lower side of major roots, once M. giganteus has reached the base of the trunk (and fruits), it "dives under" and starts decomposing the central wood column at groundlevel and up to 30 centimetres below the forestfloor without producing FB's for up to 10 or 15 years.

Superfically rooting trees such as beeches react with the formation of a dense secundary root system surrounding the trunk base, which is colonized by the mycelium of Laccaria amethystina, supporting the regeneration of branches and leaves until a new crown is formed (Tony's case in Whip), which can for some time blossom and produce seeds before the beech finally falls down because of total destruction of the central wood column of its trunk base (tree species specific survival strategy). Also see this case study.

2. You mean this (see photo) phenomenon ? These FB's appeared for four years in a row after an infected beech was felled and the stump was grounded out. The mycelium followed and fruited from two still living major roots and some secundary roots attached to them. Once all the living tissue of the roots was killed, the mycelium died and stopped fruiting from the dead wood.

---

Reuzenzwam-wortelbanen.jpg.34a6ac420e27cc2a91949b0919911d8a.jpg

What do you mean by "intact" do you mean ancient woodland soils as apposed to newly planted or previosly agricultural land now forested?

Tony,

By "intact", I mean spontaneous or planted forests which at least have been "untouched" for one to two hundred years with trees in all phases of their tree species specific life cycles represented.

• 2 weeks later...