Stopped smoking....

toprotter

Nice one Andy. I am a week or so behind you & enjoying being an non smoker.

If I had known how easy it is I would have quit years ago. I have to say there is the occasional "moment", but the fear of quitting is the greatest obstacle. Then when you understand that your body does not actually need nicotine (even though it will get a little anxious at it's removal from your system) life does become more enjoyable.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Andy. I am a week or so behind you & enjoying being an non smoker.

If I had known how easy it is I would have quit years ago. I have to say there is the occasional "moment", but the fear of quitting is the greatest obstacle. Then when you understand that your body does not actually need nicotine (even though it will get a little anxious at it's removal from your system) life does become more enjoyable.

good man pete, does that mean youll get more work done :biggrin:we less fag breaks ,should please old bob :laugh1:

Andy have you found that after a bit of a session you have less of a hangover?

I used to really cane the tabs when I was on the beer, and I reckon my hangovers were much worse back then.

I think you may have a point, though its not something I've really thought about up to now.

Good one Pete, I agree, its not as hard to give up as you think its going to be.

A sad update: the old boy who lost his leg to necrosis passed away last week, his funeral is this Friday. his addiction to nicotine contributed in no small way to his demise.

I was talking to an ex-fireman the other day who served for 30years in the London Fire Service. He quit smoking many years back, but when he started they all smoked. They had a reunion 10years after he retired, none of the smokers (who started at the same time as him) were alive to attend. Makes you think, doesnt it.

I'm still "on the wagon" as they say as well. I find the not smoking bit not too difficult, the actual stopping bit was easy, it's the not-starting again that's the hard bit for me.

I'm not really noticing that much improvement in health, but then I am quite fat at the moment. The main thing that keeps me from smoking is the thought of being a winner rather than a loser (I know that sounds incredibly sad).

Also I find that whenever I take something from my mouth, a pencil, nail screw etc, I take it between index and middle finger....

Good stuff Rover, keep at it. The nicotine is nw out of your system, so the "need" for it has gone. The habits you have formed during your time as a smoker are still there, I found it necessary to break those too. Some use the plastic ciggy type things, I wanted to get as far away as possible from anything related to it. Try to do something else with the pen, stick it behind your ear or something. I did find the need to do something with my hands was harder to ignore than actually having a fag, the action of rolling it was changed for having a large bar of Galaxy and breaking off a small square and savouring it instead of rolling and smoking a ciggy. But it helped, now I dont need the chocolate-breaking either, and I dont have fidgetty hands.

You dont realise the benefits, but if you sit down and think about it, the gains are there. Believe in it!:thumbup1: