Overnight theft from Wellignton, Somerset.

Tree Man Tom

Makes alot of sense to use an axe to cut a live cable, wood should be ok but fibreglass shafted even better. I have worked on most voltages up to 400kv, assuming its a 415v 3 phase cable which will have more copper than a 11,000 v cable, there are special live working tools with fibreglass shafts. Assuming the cable was live at the time the axe would both enter the live and grounded screen so it would cause a cct breaker to come out, the only risk is many are 'trip free' meaning they will auto reconnect but by carrying on with the axe untill the cable is cut.

Not that I would try it - only hope the police check out more scrap yards, that would be the only way to stop it.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to a programme I saw on the box the other day, over 25% of all recorded theft now involves metal taken for its scrap value.

Yet still it is thought of by most as a "victimless" crime, and still those in authority don't take the (relatively simple) steps needed to make it almost impossible for the thieves to sell the stuff they nick.

A couple of towns mentioned in the programme (I forget which) are spending £48,000 per year replacing drains and manholes that are stolen. Who pays? we all do, of course.

Outrageous.

The theft is bad enough, but its the hassle it causes which not many people see. We live out in the sticks and run off generators, the cable nicked has now cut our only supply of electricity. Were currently renting a small generator to see us through, we depend on electric for pumping our water and telephones. Its just a PITA

We dont want to replace the cable as it was, as they are only going to come back and take it again. We are going to have to re-route it and bury it deep. If making money aint hard enough at the moment this happens and is just a kick in the balls. Pass me a cider!

They came back again and stole what they had left behind the last time. I stayed up all night and didnt see them, i checked at 6 this morning and it was still there. I thought with it being broad daylight they wouldnt steal it and used this oppertunity to have a snooze, anyway, its gone now! Village few miles down the road have had telephone lines ripped up for the second time in 2weeks and stolen. Also other local villages have suffered with metal theft. What have we got to do to stop this? How am i suppose to sleep at night?

They came back again and stole what they had left behind the last time. I stayed up all night and didnt see them, i checked at 6 this morning and it was still there. I thought with it being broad daylight they wouldnt steal it and used this oppertunity to have a snooze, anyway, its gone now! Village few miles down the road have had telephone lines ripped up for the second time in 2weeks and stolen. Also other local villages have suffered with metal theft. What have we got to do to stop this? How am i suppose to sleep at night?

HI T M T how far do you have to under gound with it do you need a hand with it get the cizer out let no mate jon :thumbup:

HI T M T how far do you have to under gound with it do you need a hand with it get the cizer out let no mate jon :thumbup:

Thanks jon, looking at 100m plus to re-lay and secure. Not heard back if were covered on insurance yet. If were not then it will be time to pack up and move ship.

The theft is bad enough, but its the hassle it causes which not many people see. We live out in the sticks and run off generators, the cable nicked has now cut our only supply of electricity. Were currently renting a small generator to see us through, we depend on electric for pumping our water and telephones. Its just a PITA

We dont want to replace the cable as it was, as they are only going to come back and take it again. We are going to have to re-route it and bury it deep. If making money aint hard enough at the moment this happens and is just a kick in the balls. Pass me a cider!

wen you relay it try putting som kinks/bends in so it cant be pulled thru .

just a thought

If were not then it will be time to pack up and move ship.

But where would you go, it's just as bad if not worse around here. Every transit pick up around the black country is loaded with old scrap or branches, one goes to the scrap yard the other to the local lay-by.

Manholes covers go all the time, lead from the same church time after time and even off peoples front porches while they are in the house.