wind turbines

Johny Walker

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of ours recently had a 5kw turbine installed but they are having quite a number of issues with it. I do think that they have been quite unlucky though.

The main incentive at the moment is the government's payment of the feed in tariff, which pays you for each kw you produce for yourself (much in the same way that the renewable heat initiative will pay for heat you produce). With an efficient turbine, you stand to make a reasonable amount of money from it whilst providing yourself electricity.

Don't touch solar PVs with a barge pole. We don't get enough sun here, and by the time they have paid themselves back (excluding government grants), they have degraded to the point where they no longer produce their stated output.

From a domestic point of view, you are much better spending your money on energy conservation, rather than environmentally friendly energy production. The government (being a bunch of idiots without the slightest clue on these issues) seem to only want to subsidise energy production at the moment.

Jonathan

Don't touch solar PVs with a barge pole. We don't get enough sun here, and by the time they have paid themselves back (excluding government grants), they have degraded to the point where they no longer produce their stated output.

Jonathan

Solar PV has great potential at the moment with the feed in tariffs paying 42p per kw you produce. Cost about £10,000 so 10 year pay back and guaranteed for 20 years.

From:Feed in tariffs - Generate your own energy - Energy Saving Trust

As an example, a typical domestic solar electricity system, with an installation size of 2.7 kWp could earn around:

£990 per year from the Generation Tariff

£40 per year from the Export Tariff

£70 per year reduction in current electricity bills.

This gives a total saving of around £1,100 per year.

I'm waiting for the feed in tariffs for biomass boilers in domestic homes which I think should come in in 2012. These will pay you to heat your home with wood.

I have just been To a wind farm meeting tonight in our area. Basically we pay for these things thru our elecy bills then we pay to get the electric and we pay for the subsidies to the owner. If it's not windy they don't turn, if it's too windy they don't turn, if it's near houses m- roads and it's icy they don't turn. RANT RANT RANT COMPLAIN

saying that I think the personal use ones are a great idea; I'm just not sure on how efficient they are.

on the canal i used solar for 12volts, good in summer, though doesnt give a deep enough charge, i dont understand why more stuff isnt run on 12 volts, if done right you can run anything, A mate had a wind turbine, worked kind of, but again more of a trickle charge than a deep charge...... not really relevant to land dwellers, but if you are just thinking about powering stuff in your shed, then some good (and thats the key good') leisure batteries and a transformer and your laughing, but watch out for voltage drop if you running wires else you could end up with fires.