Makita v Dolmar

harvey b davison

Hi, can some one please explain the difference between makita and dolmar saws and which is the better alround saw for mainly logging work. I am looking in the 50cc catagory but carnt make my mind up. What are the spares like for both saws ? Pros and cons please.:confused1:

Thankyou.

same company, different coulour

Hi, can some one please explain the difference between makita and dolmar saws and which is the better alround saw for mainly logging work. I am looking in the 50cc catagory but carnt make my mind up. What are the spares like for both saws ? Pros and cons please.:confused1:

Thankyou.

and spares are a pain in the bum

Pretty much what wEd said; dols are the right colour, maks are so wrong!

Parts are slower than stihl/husq but not as bad as echo.

Makita saws with model number DCS#### - DCS simply stands for "Dolmar Chain Saw"!

RE the 50cc ers; alot of changes happening in this one; the old mak dcs5000 was the same as the dol PS5010 I think and now superceeded by the dcs dunno and ps 5030 or something like that; latter ones have stronger bottom end; plenty of exhaust modded 5000s went bang...

• 1 year later...

This issue really does my head in. People have short memories it seems.

For clarification:

1) Dolmar was arguably the first chainsaw, not Stihl. Emil Lerp tested his "motor-sagen" on mount dolmar a year earlier than Andreas Stihl tested his, yet Stihl won the legal battle of who was inventor :001_rolleyes: Both German.

2) Sachs bought Dolmar in '75 hence the Sachs Dolmar name that many will know and respect.

3) Makita bought Dolmar.

4) Dolmar manufacture the saws - NOT makita.

5) Makita rebrand them for other counties inc here in the UK; since there were no dolmar dealers in the UK, the pedigree wasn't known of to be evicted.

6) In my opinion, Dolmar have a very long and good history of saws. Passed my nptc with one years ago and it was one hell of a strong saw. Makita make good power tools sure, but I am convinced if Dolmar were available here they'd sell a heck of a lot more dolmar saws to the pro market.

7) My dolly in my avatar is nothing short of wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

5) Makita rebrand them for other counties inc here in the UK; since there were no dolmar dealers in the UK, the pedigree wasn't known of to be evicted.

When I started Dolmar offered dealerships like sweeties. The Dolmar CT was THE large profesional saw.

So, would you run Makita if you could not get your Dolmars, TCD?

No!

1). I have the Dolmar PS-5105 and had a Makita DCS-5030 (both brand new). I literally bought the Mak to see if it really was exactly the same. Interestingly, even tho the dolly has a cat muffler and the mak does not and therefore should in theory have more go, this was most definately not the case! They have different carburettors, air cleaners, felling dogs. The carb obviously makes the difference (dolmar call it "red-power"). The dolly outguns the mak quite effortlessly and feels more alive. Thus, Mak buyers are losing out imo.

2) I like to have an underdog of a saw, and also a dolmar is just that - a dolmar. I enjoy using a saw that is both an old name and is uncommon.

3) I've had this arguement with the Makita rep many times, even wearing dolmar branded clothes as it winds him up! Tells me all the BS every time. If they had dolmar here (as i attempted to start doing a while back), they'd have sold atleast 20 to me over time.