Axe Men

niftysteve

It got pulled off, sort of pulled through a big pulley type thing. He keeps it in his office. The thing that is responsible that is, not is severed hand.

Yeah i saw that episode too, was it the fingers and palm of his hand that got pulled off?? I think he still has his thumb and does he use some kind of clamp hook thingy to clamp to the saw? pretty cool invention to think of really

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nasty things pulley injuries.

A former colleague's dad lost a finger in one in an industrial accident.

He was a mill engineer and was mending a machine that was supposedly locked down and isolated.

The mechanism somehow turned and trapped his finger between pulley a belt and literally stripped all the skin and meat off the finger.

Apparantley it didnt break the tendons so his skeletal finger had full movement but the hospital had to take it all off as there was nothing to graft to or rebuild.

Yuk!

Yeah i saw that episode too, was it the fingers and palm of his hand that got pulled off?? I think he still has his thumb and does he use some kind of clamp hook thingy to clamp to the saw? pretty cool invention to think of really

Yeah, still has his thumb, not much else. That's dedication for you.

or someone who is so far gone in forestry that if he gave it up he couldn't go elsewhere?????

Jamie

That's a hard one to answer sometimes.

But that area is so nice, even as it's logged, I could understand someone getting it "into their veins".

Yeah... it rains a lot. But the air is cool and fresh, and it's not in the bustle of the city.

You know what the trees used to be like there? Like the one below.

What intrigues me about the AXMEN show, is how dangerous and tough they make it look now. I'd love to see an AXMEN show showing how dangerous and tough it was with the older machines and trees much bigger.

Sitka_800.jpg.457cdd5cd9eda754ddfb8498e36aafa8.jpg

• 3 months later...

Rerun tonight on Cable TV. Actually an interesting episode, because it mostly involves the huge wind storm we had in Oregon a year ago. Odd - the man clears trees from the road and lines wearing Chaps, but no eye protection. An improvement anyway.

Never did see this episode before.

Old Guy - says no one living has seen a storm like that one ... Hmmmm ... 1963 ... Google the "Columbus Day Storm" - top wind gusts recorded to 130 mph and estimated near 178 mph.

Lots of trees down at the coast range for either storm though. Anyhow, it looks like the storm gave the show a shot in the arm :tee:

Image below - one of quite a few that blew - thin pancake root plates. Won't be but a few years until the small craters and roots get covered with ferns and moss. Looks wierd now, but almost makes the forest look even better in a few years.

IMG_1266_Edit_600.jpg.f5d9f58e23349834358bffca87d4c266.jpg

Edited by mdvaden

Image below - one of quite a few that blew - thin pancake root plates. Won't be but a few years until the small craters and roots get covered with ferns and moss. Looks wierd now, but almost makes the forest look even better in a few years.

Impressive shot Mario. :001_cool:

I don't recall ever having seen a plate anywhere near as big as that

How tall d'ya reckon that Tree was?

Was there any root decay evident?

& do you know the wind speed of that storm?

Cheers

David

Edited by Monkey-D

Axe men - loved it, couldn't get enough of it but the jumped up dangers were cheesy alright. Melvin Lardy - Stump Branch - what a fella; dangerous but lovable!

Does anyone remember those fantastic Oregon calenders you used to get? The ones showing 1900s logging crews eating their lunch IN the front directional cut??? Wish they still did them.

I thinkg it was good to see a tree assosiated program on but found alot it was crap and alot of those guys were friggen idiots.You can see why so many of them die.example.One guys talking about a mate whole died after slipping on to a stump which had a bit of a barber chair on it.CUT THE SPIKES OFF AFTER FELLING!.

Also,why did they leave such high stumps? the skyline got caught up on them all the time and everyone bitched about it.CUT THE STUMPS DOWN!.Or at least fell it a bit lower and youll get a bit more timber on the log.Dont get me wrong ya dont have to cut into the dirt but a bit lower would have helped all round.

Or is there some reason why they cut so high?