Bracken spraying advice needed

Thanks for all the info so far guys.

I'll be using Asulox and Mixture B as recommended by another contractor locally.

The site is pretty steep in places, with a couple of rocky outcrops, and plenty of fallen down stonewalls, ditches and old stumps under the leaf litter. I really picked a belter to cut my teeth with huh!?! Don't think it's doable on anything but my own two feet TBH.

The bracken is head height for the most part and thick as can be too....

You can tell i'm really looking forward to it can't you!?!

Any more pros and cons for CDA vs knapsack, i've been looking at the "micron ulva+ bracken pack" (google and you'll see) - has anyone used it?

Ta

There is a guy about that will do a helicopter application for you... not sure on the cost though.

I wouldnt mind betting that you could sub it out and make a little on the top in comparrison to the labour time needed on foot.

However, knapsack and shanks's pony is as good a method as any.

You'll definitley want to use Asulux and most certainly mixture B although ferry liquid or plain vegetable oil are a good substitute for mixture B and alot cheaper!

We've done a bit of bracken before, and opted to get suited a booted and strim the whole lot first with a blade on a brush cutter and spray the re-emergence as it was easier going

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be using Asulox and Mixture B as recommended by another contractor locally.

The site is pretty steep in places, with a couple of rocky outcrops, and plenty of fallen down stonewalls, ditches and old stumps under the leaf litter. I really picked a belter to cut my teeth with huh!?! Don't think it's doable on anything but my own two feet TBH.

Any more pros and cons for CDA vs knapsack, i've been looking at the "micron ulva+ bracken pack" (google and you'll see) - has anyone used it?

Ta

My deepest sympathies.

I've used the micron before, with varying results. For drift spraying, it's very reliant on a constant breeze (speed and direction), with a very narrow range of acceptable conditions, so you have to pick your day very carefully. Trouble is, you never know if the day's suitable until you're on site..:001_rolleyes:

I've found a knapsack's best, but it really needs to be done before bracken gets above waist height (this is a lesson land managers never seem to learn, in my experience; they always seem to put these sort of jobs out once the stuff's over head height !). If it's as high and as thick as you say, it'll be a struggle to get good coverage, and you'll get covered with the chemical. I think Highland Forestry's suggestion of strimming it down and spraying the regrowth is the best bet.

If you can't do that, I'd suggest breaking down the area into smaller chunks and taking out some long ranging poles with flags or ribbons on the end, so you can navigate, otherwise you just get lost in it. It might be best to cut lanes through it before you start spraying, so at least you have easier movement once the sprayer's on your back.

Ta

personally i couldn't see cda getting through to the bits needed but i've never tried it on bracken so.......

We used to used CDA 'Herbi's in the early 90's, in the end we went back to knapsacks. If you read the previous posts you will detect a pattern! Bracken spraying is about the most physically demanding chemical weed control you can do but when you come back next year and see it almost all gone it will be well worth it.