Tree vs wall?

Paul Barton

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post taupoman. I agree with your logic and agree there is often misplaced sentimentality about preserving isolated individual trees.

I am not saying there is a right or wrong way in this incident but the public signs raise an interesting discussion. To say the wall cannot be repaired whilst the trees are there is not true. But the council may have made the wrong call.

Either way, the owner appears to have fought his corner by attempting to kill the trees off. No doubt they will be gone soon and the wall will be repaired. And there will be alot more sky to look at from his house!

i wonder if the owner of the wall had planning permision to put that sign there !!!!

there is no reason why that wall can not be repaired , if the trees were taken down would the wall actually be repaired to its former glory ? or is the wall actually covering up the real issue regarding the trees ?

Nice post taupoman. I agree with your logic and agree there is often misplaced sentimentality about preserving isolated individual trees.

I am not saying there is a right or wrong way in this incident but the public signs raise an interesting discussion. To say the wall cannot be repaired whilst the trees are there is not true. But the council may have made the wrong call.

Either way, the owner appears to have fought his corner by attempting to kill the trees off. No doubt they will be gone soon and the wall will be repaired. And there will be alot more sky to look at from his house!

Killing the trees is completely the wrong way to go about it and I sure as hec don't condone that action. Not knowing the entire hsitory of the tree/wall battle it's hard to comment too much further but suffice to say that there are surely other ways around the issue? The council could surely have looked at other possibilites rather than a flat out no and, the owner could surely have gotten a couple of independant reports and advice on what to do. Armed with this an amicable compromise may have been reached. Some councils though do need to get off their perch as do a lot of the general public.

i wonder if the owner of the wall had planning permision to put that sign there !!!!

there is no reason why that wall can not be repaired , if the trees were taken down would the wall actually be repaired to its former glory ? or is the wall actually covering up the real issue regarding the trees ?

Repairing of the wall could have been part of the compromise along with replanting of trees somewhere else. As I said, it's a compromise not a victory for one argument over another. What I mean is if the wall is that important then council could have said to the tree owner 'we'll grant you permission to remove the trees if you repair and maintain the wall and replant at your cost'. This then puts the emphasis back on the owner and he has to ask himself the question "do I want the trees out that badly?" There is of course the H&S issue that was raised earlier. Who pays if the trees cause the wall to crumble on to a passer by?

Sometimes the owners will take matters into their own hands in these circumstances... Here is a few pics of a job we had to take down the tree that the owner wasnt allowed to do before so he did this to change the councils mind i guess :thumbdown: I would prefer that the wall was fixed without harming the tree but if the owner wants rid of it then he will find a way :sneaky2:

DSCF0029.jpg.a867254ea0d846d68c1f3389fe29032f.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg.cc6e689a53f8c1a817b2fa6549bd5820.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg.79018551e14eb76298501e60f3cc286c.jpg

Sometimes the owners will take matters into their own hands in these circumstances... Here is a few pics of a job we had to take down the tree that the owner wasnt allowed to do before so he did this to change the councils mind i guess :thumbdown: I would prefer that the wall was fixed without harming the tree but if the owner wants rid of it then he will find a way :sneaky2:

If it's of any help consolation, I've seen Gums in worse condition than that bounce back. He might have to try a little harder.

If you look closely at the picture you will see there is a good lean on a large section of that wall. Probably will need rebuilding. Trees v. property/people- theres a debate. That'll never end. Good thing is 30 years down the line everything changes and tree lovers often enhance the environment by planting and the balance is restored.

Nice find Paul!

Quite apart from the debate over the trees/TPO value the LPA doesn't need to rescind, revoke, abort, repeal, lift, negate (or any other one of the thousands of words that people use) to allow the removal of the trees. The TPO can stay and the trees can go - the sign author is misinformed. If they are misinformed about that then I doubt we can be sure they had all the options laid before them. Add a bit of confirmation bias, a desire for personal autonomy and the classic hatred of being told what to do by 'the man' and perhaps a sign seems like a partial win?