Chainsaw trousers

hippytyre

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of chainsaw trousers? I'm not a pro so these wouldn't be used very often but I want to be just as safe. I've seen chainsaw chaps too but I don't know if those are any use. My budget would be around £100. I've already bought a helmet with the visor etc.

A pair of boots is probably a good idea too but I have rigger boots with steel toe/heel/midsole.

You're staying strictly ground-based aren't you? If so, I find chaps OK if you're not moving very far. They're heavy so you get hot if moving, but for mainly static jobs like cutting up or milling you can put them on while working and take them off easily afterwards whilst stacking/carrying etc. This means they're less likely to get snagged or damaged, and my Stihl ones are pretty robust anyway - probably lasted about 15yrs.

Alec

My next pair are going to be from the Engelbert Strauss catalogue I think. They seem excellent value for money.

There's type A and C, C offering more protection, ie further round the sides and back of the legs, whereas type A's protect just bthe area's most likely needing protection when using a saw on the ground.

Type A will do fine and you'll not suffer heatstroke quite as quickly, (the added protection adds insulation, more protection=more heat)

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of chainsaw trousers? I'm not a pro so these wouldn't be used very often but I want to be just as safe. I've seen chainsaw chaps too but I don't know if those are any use. My budget would be around £100. I've already bought a helmet with the visor etc.

A pair of boots is probably a good idea too but I have rigger boots with steel toe/heel/midsole.

Don't know if you've got a Charlies store near you but I got a pair of Stihl type A trousers from my local store for IIRC £70.

Thanks guys, it'll be all ground work and i'll check out all of your suggestions. I thought chaps would be good because I can get them off and on quickly but I'e always thought people look a little strange wearing them :001_rolleyes:

I hadn't even thought about Strauss, thanks for reminding me about them, I buy a lot of my work gear from them anyway.

I thought chaps would be good because I can get them off and on quickly but I'e always thought people look a little strange wearing them :001_rolleyes:

Yes, but when you're the one wielding the big chainsaw, not many people are going to point this out (to your face anyway) :biggrin:

Alec