Teufelberger... grounded in reality???

Dilz

just watched a vid on Hbros site about the pulley saver, not much else to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon, At first i thought this piece of kit was just an expensive gimmicky pile of rope and bits, but I can see how it has some uses especially on trees with dead tops, missing leaders etc, but my one gripe with this vid and therefore the kit is this, When it comes to retrieving the pulley saver from up in the tree attach a throwline? what the hell? how is that not just going to get in the way? get tangled up, be dragged through the chipper with the brash? throwlines are purposed designed to get tangled in stuff arent they? Also despite it being best practice etc, how many of you guys on here (and this is where i may get unstuck) use two lines? an access line and a working line In anything but the biggest and ugliest trees??? the vid sounded so good until that point, bar the annoying yank accent.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have a spliced eye, heat up an awl or some sort of spike and burn a hole through the rope that is large enough to fit the string on the retrieval ball through.. Sorted.

As for retrieval using a throwline, mine has never got tangled yet. (touch wood)

If you don't have a spliced eye, heat up an awl or some sort of spike and burn a hole through the rope that is large enough to fit the string on the retrieval ball through.. Sorted.

As for retrieval using a throwline, mine has never got tangled yet. (touch wood)

Heating up the Pointy end of a Chainsaw file works too.

bar the annoying yank accent.

that annoying yank accent happens to be a very well respected arbtalker and a friend of mine to mr taylor hamel, don't see why this is an issue anyway:thumbdown:

retrieving the pulley saver with a throw line is good practice but also personnel preference to if you want to waste money dropping expensive gear on what ever ground your on... or put your life at risk with hairline fractures :blushing:

sorry for being blunt

The best way to keep tangles to a minimum when retrieving is to attach the throwline to the large eye of the pulleysaver before you go down, Or when you install it. Then just drop the bag of throwline out of the tree. Its much easier than climbing back up to tie a throwline on before retrieval. Alternatively tie it on to the eye of your line/retrieval ball and have it looped over the branch about 4 times. You need a really long throwline for that..

Yes, the throwling can get tangled. There are two ways to prevent this.

One is to drop it down the line of the trunk and have your groundie put any excess back in the bag and hang as far up the trunk as he can reach, use ladders if necessary.

The other is to throw it out of the canopy as far as you possibly can and have your groundie put any excess back in the bag and hang it on another tree out of the way.

We use this method when working in tall Lime tree as we find these to be the worst for removal of ropeguides. (we dont actually have any teufelberger ones)

With regard to your question about seperate lines, it depends on the tree but I would ay anything over 60 feet then yes we would have a seperate access line.

You dont need to leave the throwline in the tree while working,Throw it back up (doesnt have to be high) when you want to retrieve your RG

And taylor is a good guy who has taken time to make the video which you dont seem to appreciate.