Tales of PGK

pgkevet

We'll call it 'Say nothing.' Part 2

After playing chicken with the joy riders at the tower we went back to the main runway and played chicken with another couple of Jumbos. They kept coming and I kept having to pop back up out of the way. It was getting a tad samey and it was also getting to be a bit of a worry. Back in the good ol' UK I'd have expected someone to let the poor pilot without a radio land - foreigners!

I consulted my map. Not too far away was another military field. But the map clearly said it was a no-fly zone. Never mind, I figured that might be safer so hopped over there. Radar would know where I'm going?

It was a big field but looked quiet. I could see the control tower easily and reprised my wing waggling, circling trick. Sigh. No lights, no flags. To heck with it, I Ianded. I taxied to the tower. No-one home.

By now my wife is getting on my case. Did I mention she hated flying?

"Well get out and find someone", she said.

I patiently pointed out that we'd just landed on a high security military airbase without permission and while that's bad enough I didn't figure that walking around it taking holiday snaps was too good an idea.

I pulled the canopy open. It was hot and sunny, I was sweating and my T-shirt was getting ripe. So in British tradition I tied knots in the corners of a handkerchief, popped it on my head and settled for a doze.

And that's exactly how the 2 lorry-loads of airforce squaddies found us a half hour or so later. One naggy wife and one sweaty Englishman with a very smelly t-shirt and a hanky on his head.

The squaddies were mostly a friendly bunch. I knew that because mostly they kept their rifles shouldered. Except for one or two.

We climbed in the back of a lorry and got driven to a chasm in the ground. Enormous blast doors with feet thick steel had seperated to show rather smart fighter aircraft neatly rowed up deep underground. Heck, this was still before the Berlin Wall came down.

I've admitted my thinking isn't always quick but I got the idea this place might be important.

We drove on through to the back of the place and were marched into a small office. A sergeant was siting at his desk reading through a book.

He looked up and said "I've just been reading up on the rules. It says here that if someone invades my airbase then I detain them or shoot. But if a distressed pilot makes a landing then I'm to provide every aid and help."

I managed a weak smile. "I think I'd rather be a distressed pilot. I'm not too hot on the etiquette of invasion."

"Oh good," he said "Would you like a cup of tea and a sandwich?"

<part 3 later>

Say Nothing Part 3

Sergeant poured me a mug from his thermos. Wife was looking grey and didn't want any. She told me later that the squaddies and the blast doors had made her think we were going to prison. I was relaxed since I figured I had done stuff pretty much by the book.

I told my story to Sergeant and then he rang his commander. Commander wasn't in a very good mood. It was the night of the big military dinner and he had just been pulled away from his main course to deal with an invasion of his high security military airbase by two unarmed English people and a Grumman AA5A single-engined sports plane.

I told my story to Commander. From the tone of his voice he sounded a little upset that he couldn't just have me shot. I think his main course must have been getting cold.

I handed the phone back to Sergeant who was given strings of instructions to pass on to me. I don't speak Danish but I think they included things like 'If you get an excuse shoot him." Main course must have been a good one.

Sergeant was loving it. This wasn't just another boring weekend of boring duty sitting in his office deep underground. I got offered another cup of tea.

Bilund Air Traffic Control rang Sergeant and I was given a special radio frequency to try and use and special instructions to land there just before airport closing time.

Sergeant gave us a lift back to the plane. I couldn't see a lot of point in taxiing all the way back to the runway and Sergeant was quite happy for me to take off from the slip road. We shook hands and I took off.

Flying to Bilund was a non-event. Even the radio worked! At Bilund the security folk called their big chief and I had to talk to him over the phone.

I told my story again.

Big Chief explained that they had changed all the Bilund frequencies at 5pm. Didn't I realise? Er, no!

Big Chief explained that the first military zone had closed for the weekend after I flew through it.

Big Chief explained that I was out of range of Copenhagen information after that. And apparently they don't monitor 121.5 over land at the weekends. Foreigners!

Big Chief explained that Bilund Control Tower was located in an odd position compared to British Control Towers but they had seen me on radar and had been shining lights at me but they weren't going to circle a whole bunch of Jumbos just for one idiot Englishman!

Big Chief explained that he would have his tech folk check my radios and the rest of the plane. (they did a lovely job..even washed the windscreen).

Big Chief said he had decided not to press charges and asked if I wanted him to fix us up with a hotel. What could I say?

Wife and I grabbed our cases and got shown to a taxi.

On the drive into town the taxi driver got chatty. Had we heard about all the excitement at Bilund Airport than day? He had driven two pilots into town earlier and both had been full of a story about some completely insane pilot in a light aircraft flying head on at one Jumbo after another?

My wife whispered "Say nothing."

PGK, heres a story from my past told by someone you might have heard of, probably not as exciting as some of your tales but here goes.

As you know i go by the name of Eggsarascal on here, but the nick name Egg comes from thirty years ago when i fractured my skull in a playground accident and was re-christened Egghead.

ROBBIE Williams has lifted the lid on his life as a teenager growing up in the Potteries before he found fame and fortune with Take That.

In three, 30-minute audio clips, the singer remembers the friends he hung around with when he was living with his mother Jan and sister Sally at their home in Greenbank Road, Tunstall.

SPOOKY: Church Lawton Hall, where a young Robbie and his mates tried to contact ghosts. Below, Shelleys nightclub.

••••..The "Robcast" is available in full to fans who pay a £30 annual subscription to his official website. It concludes with a haunting tale about Robbie and his friends breaking into the boarded up Church Lawton Hall one night after leaving a pub in Trent Vale, near Trentham, to attempt to invoke ghostly spirits using a Ouija Board.

Robbie says: "I found myself face down in mud, only to raise my head to realise I'm on top of someone's last resting place – and that someone died in the 17th century.

"There it is, Church Lawton Hall, and movie perfect too. Mist had risen off the lake at the back and it had engulfed the whole building. You couldn't have picked a more paranormal setting.

"Every step we made was like being in a Cliff Richard dry ice Top Of The Pops performance."

Robbie's mum Jan said: "It's true what he says. I can remember him coming home – he was very scared."

Robbie's first audio clip is introduced to the sounds of Dream Academy's Life In A Northern Town. The final instalment ends with Take That's Never Forget.

He says: "I'm 16, living with my mum and sister in Greenbank Road, Tunstall.

"Tension was abound, mum was about to find out I hadn't done as well as I had led her to believe (at school).

"Things looked pretty bleak for me."

Robbie, who at the time was known by friends as "Will", goes on to recount tales from his early life, including falling in with "the proverbial bad lot, a draw-smoking, non-job-bothering lot", taking LSD in Shelleys nightclub, a brief spell as a door-to-door salesman in Stoke-on-Trent and spending his first pay packet in Hanley on a pair of Versace jeans.

Robbie also talks about auditioning and eventually winning a part in Take That, which meant he never needed to retake his GCSEs at Fenton Sixth Form College.

He says: "I sang a Jason Donovan song and danced like MC Hammer.

"Things like that (finding fame and fortune) don't happen to people from Stoke-on-Trent. In fact the only time I can remember us being on the TV is a brief mention in a Carpet Warehouse advert."

Jan said: "The audition for Take That was in May in Manchester. I checked the place out before we went.

"Coming home he was very excited about it, but we didn't hear anything for a long time.

"In August he got his GCSE results. He was in the garden with his friends. When he saw me he came in and said, 'I've not done very well'.

"I had a look and said, 'no you haven't'.

"He went back into the garden, then the phone rang and it was (Take That manager) Nigel Martin Smith, to say that Robbie was in the band. He was over the moon.

"From the disappointment in the morning, things turned out all right."

During his Robcast, the singer mentions a number of friends who went with him to Church Lawton Hall, including Maffer, Egghead, Flick, Dave, Coco (Paul Colclough) and Drew (Munroe).

Remember this title: Watch out.

My wife and I went to St Lucia for a holiday. I love the Caribbean and we'd been to Jamaica a couple of times and thought we'd try somewhere else for a change; because I always got into trouble in Jamaica.

Perhaps I'll tell you about that sometime.

St Lucia is the quiet one. Except that we got the feeling it was less the quiet one and more the one where everything is hidden from the tourists. Nothing was ever quite as real as I expect of the Caribbean.

Am I the only one that has to go looking for a Ghetto? I wanted some real curried goat and the hotel food didn't do a goat justice.

There was only one ghetto on the island that I ever found. Raw, rough and smelling of decent food. In we went to the shanty shacks and colourful language and total lack of any lighting. It was dark.

I was in my usual Caribbean holiday clothes: bare feet, swim bottoms and a t-shirt.

We were strolling down one of the narrow walkways between cast-off garden sheds that corrode and rot their way as somewhere to scratch a living when a large black guy menacing a machete jumped in front of me and demanded my watch.

I tried explaining that all I wanted was a curried goat dinner and no trouble but he insisted on my watch!

"OK", I said. "I'm not going to fight you for my watch."

I took it off and handed it to him. "But before you run away with it," I went on."Have a good look at it. It's a piece of rubbish I bought in Argos and the strap's going."

He inspected the watch and replied. "This is crap, man. I don't want this."

"Well can I have it back, please? It's the only watch I've got."

He gave it back to me and said. "I suppose you're going to call the police now?"

"No" I said. "What's the point? What am i going to tell them? That some black man tried to rob me?"

"So what you gonna do, man?" He persevered.

"I'll tell you what" I said. "I've got a couple of dollars in my pocket. I'll buy you a beer."

"Why you buying me a beer when i tried to rob you?"

"Well if I went to the police I'd never be able to come back to the ghetto again without a risk that I might have to fight you. This way we have a couple of beers, stay friends and you can tell your mates I'm not worth robbing."