Managing Horse Chestnuts with Bleeding canker

RobArb

air spade to reduce compaction, allicin to reduce Cameraria damage, mulch to the dripline, phosphite incorporation. Scores of trees limited budget. Councils do not have the resources.

Hi All,

Please ignore this reply, posted under the affluence of ilcohol in a particularly bitter and twisted frame of mind:001_tongue:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly RobArb I'd replied to the thread on there as its in my area and I'd took down a dead cedar and a couple of conifers across the way from it. This particular tree had shed multiple branches over the past few years and with its position the council weren't keen to leave it any longer. The final branch that was shed was 10 to 12inches in diameter which would have been enough to cause serious damage to anyone walking underneath at the time. With high profile cases such as the one for the National trust safety becomes the biggest overriding factor. The Tree is opposite a school set back from the main road into Wigan on a bit of common land where people frequent in particular children. The tree was a fine example but had reached a point where other than fencing off round the tree, which as we know people don't pay attention to fences, the only other options are to heavily reduce, pollard or fell. With it being in a conservation area the council isn't fussed on heavy reductions or pollards so became fell and replant if I recall correcttly they have replanted with oak .

Hi Detritus, hadn't noticed you'd replied in the other forum:blush:

I am well aware of the tree and the location as I used to walk past it everyday before i became an arborist, and admired it as much back then. I do feel though (which is only my opinion and i confess to not knowing all the in's and out's) that it could of been managed better for the location it is in and the overall amenity value of the tree.

And as far as i'm aware (i went past on thursday, a replacement tree has not been planted yet as they have only just ground the stump)

ps, i work for wigan:laugh1: but not on the wigan side and know the bloke that will have taken it down

Isn't the treatment allicin? a compound found in garlic, read something about this a while back, and it having a positive side effect on HC leaf miner too?

Allan,

In The Netherlands, field experiments with two methods of applying allicin to infected trees took place :

- spraying the leaves, which was rather effective, but lead to complaints from people in the neighbourhood because of the garlic smell

- using slow dripping devices half-immersed in the soil to deliver the fluid to the finer roots, which caused the already present endomycorrhizal microfungi to die, because garlic and other Allium species produce allicin to defend their soil territories against invasions of mycelia of plant and tree dependend endomycorrhizal fungi, which are competitive to and not species specific for symbiotic microfungi associated with Allium.

Besides, I speculated, that the fast and widespread expansion of the bacteria could be caused by insects (flies, butterflies, wasps) eating from the secretion of the diseased tree and carrying the bacteria to other trees with their feet.

Edited by Fungus

As Gerrit says allicin is anti-fungal, and also anti-bacterial. The trials in the Netherlands used systemic trunk injections to control the HCBC bacteria. I believe the effect it had on leafminer was a beneficial side effect, as other elements of crushed garlic contain anti-larvicidal properties.

I did suggest an underplanting of wild garlic but now having read Gerrits comments im not so sure.

Not sure how much good this would do as allicin is only created after the garlic is damaged (this prevents the garlic killing any beneficial bacteria/fungi organisms). Allicin is a defence mechanism for garlic.