18 stoner

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Put a new piston in it without cleaning it up and the rings will be damaged and the piston will suffer.

If it is cleaned up you make a judgement on it, if the plating is in reasonable condition, it will not damage the ring or piston although vertical scoring will reduce power and compression.

Getting the acid is straightforward, so if you're not in a rush I would clean up the pot first and then decide what to do. I wouldn't be hopeful though.

I would then anticipate buying a non-genuine pot and piston from ebay.

I would also be swilling the crankshaft round a lot with a bit of petrol in the crank case, up to just around the crankshaft, to flush the bearings etc. of any bits of metal that may be lurking down there. Tip it out and then wipe a bit of kitchen roll through under the crank and look for shiny bits - repeat until there aren't any.

What I would really want to know though is why it failed in the first place. Without knowing, you may well get the same thing from a new pot and piston in very short order.

Btw, there were two models of 034 - 46mm dia and 48mm dia bore, while the 036 is only 48mm dia. The stroke matches in all cases though, so it's likely that an 034 pot and piston will fit whichever size it is, just drop the power a little if it's the smaller one.

Alec

Ok, more good tips. Cheers fellas.

As there is no rush, one step at a go then.

First one seems to be acid so I can decide for definate on the pot, so either of you know where its available?

The pressure test is worth doing at the same time then, is it something I can do with a few basic workshop tools Spud, or do I need to take it in?

Will PM you about the acid - I built my own pressure checking kit - saved the £150 Stihl charge - probably easier to do the work, get it back together again and ask a local dealer to do it unless you are real good.

Inspect the impulse lines and carb boot thoroughly before reassembly otherwise the pressure check will be pointless.

Put money into a new saw as that one is not worth doing

and put the time into earning enough money to buy it

by the time you have worked out how much you could of earned in that time you would be surprised

sell it on ebay to help the new saw fund.

when they need a new pot they are just done imo:thumbup:

when they need a new pot they are just done imo:thumbup:

What about a two year old saw that has been seized:001_rolleyes:

Personally, I fix everything I can - the washing machine has had around 6 sets of motor brushes in it:thumbup1:

I just hate throwing away kit - if the saw had done 15 years and the plating had worn through and the rest of the saw was buggered then perhaps it has had it's time but generally have fully repaired some saws others would have split for spares.

If you want to throw your old saws my way then go ahead:thumbup:

In all fairness to Bob, he possibly knows the saw!

The saw was taken in as parts, but guess Im like you Spud I would like to give it every chance of running again but there are sometimes cost implications and reliability issues that can follow an older saw around.

I'd like to think I had given this saw a final chance of living again before it gets 3 or 4 bits robbed from it then stuffed in a corner to gather dust!