landy to tipper

Matthew Storrs

the cost is up to you. spend want you want. landies are like machano so its pretty easyto unbolt stuff off them and bolt stuff on also. exhuast and fuel filler might need adapting. you should of course notify dvla of the changes. oh yeah, you might need to stiffen the springs too.

Smart truck, just the thing im after for mine, looks like you can get a fair bit in there too. 300tdi? whats it like with all that chip plus chipper on the back?

i'm trying to work out whether its worth it to convert mine or not cos i have to tow chipper (1.6ton) plus load of chip etc, landy might struggle, unless i potter around in low all the time. zzzzzz!

It holds just over 3.25 cubic metres when rammed. My truck is so mechanically good its like a new one. The 300 has been rebuilt. I have a 935i chipper, and often has all my kit on the roof too. I live in cornwall so its no stranger to hills. On a very steep hill i may have to get down to 2nd but very very rarely 1st gear. If you want speed you have to sacrifice working ability and carrying capacity and towing capacity....and not have a landrover. Fuel consumption is horrendous mind you. 15- 16 mpg when draging up a hill loaded right up?

I have converted a TD5 110 Hi Cap to a tipper. Below are serious points to consider

1) Your 110 is probably 3050kg GVM. This is legally useless for carrying a load. It needs to be 3500kg Heavy Duty model, or legally uprated through DVLA which is what I did.

2) The 110s carry most of the load over the rear axle, so even when uprated to 3500kg, you will overload the rear alxle before reaching your legal GVM.

3) Based on experience, a 130 is a much better option as it carries the weight over both axles better and you can achieve your max payload legally.

4) A Landy is a workhorse. They are well upto to carrying and towing the weight. However, with a heavy chipper or trailer, the noseweight also puts more weight on the rear axle.

5) The wheel arches can be legally removed if the wheels are under the tipper body as far as I am aware.

Sorry all that is a bit wordy and all very "legal." I try to stay within the law as long term fines and points are not the way to go.

If you want any help or other advice PM me.

Adam

It holds just over 3.25 cubic metres when rammed. My truck is so mechanically good its like a new one. The 300 has been rebuilt. I have a 935i chipper, and often has all my kit on the roof too. I live in cornwall so its no stranger to hills. On a very steep hill i may have to get down to 2nd but very very rarely 1st gear. If you want speed you have to sacrifice working ability and carrying capacity and towing capacity....and not have a landrover. Fuel consumption is horrendous mind you. 15- 16 mpg when draging up a hill loaded right up?

Sorry to OP for the derail , but Tom where do you carry your saws and kit ?