me backs gone!

Dts trees

Like I said mate had them all they stretched me massaged me etc to no no avail but the physio didn't even touch me just looked and could tell what was wrong and gave the advice how to help it:) IMO any painkillers or drugs are the worst things you can take because if your like me they will mask the pain and you will just work flat out and make the problem worse. Pain killers work if you sit still all day not in our job

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO any painkillers or drugs are the worst things you can take because if your like me they will mask the pain and you will just work flat out and make the problem worse. Pain killers work if you sit still all day not in our job

:dito:

I never take painkillers because i would like to know when i am hurting it more! never been a great fan of them and half of them dont work anyway if you really are in a lot of pain.

:dito:

I never take painkillers because i would like to know when i am hurting it more! never been a great fan of them and half of them dont work anyway if you really are in a lot of pain.

exactly mate and the only painkillers which help your back are anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen which wreck your guts anyway:thumbdown:

Like I said mate had them all they stretched me massaged me etc to no no avail but the physio didn't even touch me just looked and could tell what was wrong and gave the advice how to help it:) IMO any painkillers or drugs are the worst things you can take because if your like me they will mask the pain and you will just work flat out and make the problem worse. Pain killers work if you sit still all day not in our job

Agreed with the pain killers but diazepam (not sure on the correct spelling) is a muscle relaxant so it works if your back muscles are in spasm as it relaxes them and allows the spasm to ease off. Not best practice it has to be said but if that is the issue it works a treat. You may as well write the day off though cos you won't be able to do much depending on the dose.

Keep it moving - get the spine straight as soon as possible - lie on your front and try to push up on your elbows until you can walk vertically and not stooped.

Long term, strengthen your back with doing situps - 20 a night and havent had problems in 6 months - used to get a bad back all the time through cutting or working on the bench. Hear what the other guys are saying about yoga!

A back support for heavy work helps - but your trousers will need a belt:laugh1:

A 'bad back' is usually not an isolated problem. There are usually other factors at play. We connected from the base of our skulls, down to our toes, therefore an imbalance somewhere can centre on the back.

Don't go to the GP. Go straight to an Osteopath but be sure it's one who actually understands what you do. Take along photos of you hanging in your harness and showing typical work positions. Take your harness aswell.

In my experience chiropractors and physios are the people who couldn't be Osteopaths. I'm not intending to upset anyone by saying that.

I am an advocate of my Osteopath but I have seen some bad ones.

I found a good physio after over 15 years of working and back pain, went to him when it got so bad i was stuck in bed in agony, worst in my life so did 999 to get to hospital. Took hours and hrs of drugs there to get moving again.

Physio spotted my problem inside 2 mins, told me how to resolve it and now i see him sometimes once a week for a month or so when it hurts, or not for a year or so but the day to day pain is completely gone.

Turns out my right leg is 4cm shorter than left one so always putting pressure on sciatic (bad spelling) nerve in lower back. Boots with a 4cm added sole and all good.

A good physio is worth every penny!

I'm with spudulike. Don't lie on your back. Lie on your front and get those shoulders up. There is a very good book out there somewhere called mend your back or fix your back or something.

I had a bad back for 30 years and finally crawled into an NHS physio after a particularly bad attack. She told me it was basically all in my mind! She was right. She said I am 'hyper-mobile' and this makes it worse. Understand the way your brain deals with your back joints going beyond their limits and you have your answer. If you have some pain after a day's work, get on your tummy and stretch that lower back.

If you have that digging feeling then go for a long, swift walk and make sure you breathe in and out fully all the time.

I suffered with a bad back for most of my life. I would get that thing where it was like you had been shot and you go down like a sack of poo. The reality there is that you stop breathing and everything goes into lock down. Learn to deal with that.

Breathe, move and get your joints working within their prescribed limits and you should be OK. If you need to work, get a sturdy support belt and get on with it. Just make sure you stay supple, relaxed and breathe properly all the time.

Unless you have an actual injury or physical problem, back issues can usually be cured easilly. That NHS lady has changed my life and I have no idea who she was.