Anyone heard of a drayer lowering bollard?

mikecotterill

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So 273 works out to around 240£. Are they any good, found one for not much more than a flying capstan. I'm not in need of it at the minute but thinking it'd be a wise buy for the future? What do you think?

Get it.

They are easier to Train a new Groundy with imho.Because they are Static and there is not immediate reaction to load.

So 273 works out to around 240£. Are they any good, found one for not much more than a flying capstan. I'm not in need of it at the minute but thinking it'd be a wise buy for the future? What do you think?

second hand? As long as its not been abused it should be ok.

New I think. It's only got a 500kg limit though, doesn't seem much?

That will be SWL though not breaking strength. I know its not much but if they used a 10:1 safety factor that means the breaking strength is at least 5000kgs, all it means is that it shouldn't be used repeatedly over 500kgs. The whole point of these units though is to allow you to dissipate the forces generated from snatching lumps. So a 300kgs lump would generate huge forces if dropped onto a fixed rope, but if you let the rope run you will lower the peak forces. Its easier to let the rope run on a fixed bollard than it is on a flying capstan so a 500kgs limit on a bollard is way higher than a 500kgs limit on a capstan if that makes sense? i.e. in proper use you can do bigger stuff and still not get near to the 500 limit.

If you are unsure about it then only use it with a 13mm rope for starters, and you sill soon learn that the rope is the limiting factor on all things not the hardware. (not including slings as they are often a weak point)

Ok, so the Drayer version of the GRCS is cheaper (and looks cheaper) but pretty much the same price as Steven Ibelings Smart Winch.

Looking at the pictures, I know which one I would choose.

From bitter experience I've found that saving a few quid on a product leads to nothing but frustration and regret.

I'm with Rupe on rope control. It's pointless spending extra money on gear with mega SWL as a competent groundie should be able to control things and if he can't, sack him. He'll only cost you ropes and slings.

Ok, so the Drayer version of the GRCS is cheaper (and looks cheaper) but pretty much the same price as Steven Ibelings Smart Winch.

Looking at the pictures, I know which one I would choose.

From bitter experience I've found that saving a few quid on a product leads to nothing but frustration and regret.

I'm with Rupe on rope control. It's pointless spending extra money on gear with mega SWL as a competent groundie should be able to control things and if he can't, sack him. He'll only cost you ropes and slings.

Just to be clear, the one I've seen isn't a winch type one, just a standard fixed bollard, not sure if my post confused things a little :)