dont give up!!!!

firewoodman

yes it would be nice to preserve it. but it is in a farmers field taking up crop space and they are not renowned for their care of trees.

although there are to quaint villages close by who may cause a fuss should the tree be removed.

it is a favorite dog walk spot aswell

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found an old oak about a month ago it has a c stem hollow and has fallen to the ground forming an arch but because it was hidden in a thicket and nobody saw it it started to grow upright from the crown, now it has this crown on a crown effect it looks to heavy, but i think i will leave it its doing what it does in its own way:001_smile:

but i think i will leave it its doing what it does in its own way:001_smile:

I'd do the same, I often think that what we do to trees is pointless, trees have growing without mans help since before we could walk.

There are quite a few similar Oaks in fields round here with massive historical defects, they have adapted and continued to grow fine without our help.

Where we come in is trees in the urban enviroment thats a different kettle of fish, or preserving historical landscapes.

tis top heavy but would you prune hard to reduce weight and try to save or leave alone to die gracefully?

What an amazing Tree.

Worth trying to give the Old girl a helping hand Imo.

Props rather than pruning, is the way to go.

I know the farmer probably wouldn't give two hoots about it, but if I was local I would get the locals actively involved and contact the ATF, they would love it.

http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/ancient-tree-forum/

These Trees are definitively our heritage, and were quite rightly venerated and protected by our forebears.

This once fine nation was literally built using the Mighty Oak.

Towns were errected and Wars were fought on the broad back of this natural phenomina, and for this very reason they are deserving of our remembrance.

Slushy Rant over :blushing:.........now where's me 084, I need to go fell me some timber :crazy:

slightly less impressive, but this ash tree had the back half split out quite a few years ago, also lost a limb out of the front...one of the healthiest looking ash trees you will find, no deadwood in it to speak of and this is what is supporting it..

DSC00155.jpg.90cfb3a10281759bdbfa7d83547cf969.jpg

DSC00153.jpg.866d8d1546799d215963937eebb4e7d4.jpg