New Pole system

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be worth ringing Kingswood, they did a demo at the Arb show. The Guy who was with Richard was talking about speed lines, half way into it he showed the crowd a good way of doing the same thing with the end of your climbing line and two rings, looked really quick and easy to set up as a back up for your lanyard.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a technique i,m been using to descender on a pole. Attach a DMM green rigging ring to the end of your clinbing line with a knot or cinch it with a large eye if you have one. Pass the ring around the pole, form a bite above your friction hitch on the other side and pass it through the ring. Pull the bite through and connect it to a revolver clipped to your rope bridge. You can then descend on your climbing knot to the base of your tree, unclip the bite and pull the whole system free. Hope this helps.

By the time youve set it up you could have climbed the tree and done half the job,im a fan of keeping things simple less to go wrong.

Yes thats what i do,Just as quick.I use my RG if fits around the pole tho.

Qtip-Be interested in seeing some pics of your set up you described.

01072011671.jpg.916a497b9af3b406f790f01fe8e3a2d9.jpg

01072011672.jpg.0e81d016f8c654bb5db904b50acd0f31.jpg

I hope this helps. I would like to add a note of caution, the system requires a controlled descent to prevent the possible damage to your rope from excessive friction and needs to be wieghted before removing your lanyard.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this helps. I would like to add a note of caution, the system requires a controlled descent to prevent the possible damage to your rope from excessive friction and needs to be wieghted before removing your lanyard.

Does this then have any advantage over simply tying a running bowline around the stem other than the potential 2:1 hauling ratio for a re-ascent by clipping the bight into your bridge? is it any quicker to setup or more practical than using the multi sling which does offer the option of a retrievable tail?

though i guess, watching the video, if you want a hauling system using the multisling, a ringloop is added to the system to clip into anyways...

I think both these examples hold merit but is there a way of streamlining/incorporating both a 2:1 hauling system and a retrievable tail?

what about tying the green ring (as above) into a bowline but leaving a long tail so when you've reached your next work point youlanyard in, take the weight out of the mainline and then pull on the tail to bring the system down, retend slack and start over?

Do you not find it a real pain in the arse though? I'll put one on if the poles wobbling around a lot as a back up but it really slows me down.

How does it slow you down? its only a pain in the ass if your climbing up with it set up then you have to move both flipline and choker. i never have any problems with it and its simple. i like it simples:thumbup1: