new bollard/winch for rigging?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Central-Services, in case you have not found out yet, the Smartwinch and GRCS use a Harken 46 winch. Lewmar, Holt and Anderson do an equivalent but Harken and Lewmar are the superior products by a country mile.

Mine actually uses a Harken 44 cos its the old model, that why the ratios I quoted are different to the current model.

Most of the crew would be in longboats towing the ship, swinging the lead to get a depth sounding was an easy job.

I heard it different.

Depth sounding was reasonably hard, dropping the lead, hauling it back up and repeat.

Some would take a chance on the water being deep enough and instead of actually dropping the lead, they would just "swing the lead" so it looked like they were doing a prober job, but were really skiving.

I heard it different.

Depth sounding was reasonably hard, dropping the lead, hauling it back up and repeat.

Some would take a chance on the water being deep enough and instead of actually dropping the lead, they would just "swing the lead" so it looked like they were doing a prober job, but were really skiving.

You have to cast (swing) the lead forward of the vessel to give it time to get to the bottom before the ship is over it.

It’s unlikely anyone would skimp on that job, not doing that job properly could have you aground, possibly on an unknown foreign shore.

i would love to be able to afford the HOBBS or GRCS but at the minute its not possible, but i really could do with a great bollard that's gonna do the job every time and not worry about swl to much within reason.

As me and rupe have said before 250kg is more than enough all day long. i can't see my self needing a winch but like you say oldmills i can think of loads of use week in week out for it to.

my opions really would be the rc3001 and just use a 2:1 or 3:1 pulley ratio with it for my line tensioner, or the rc3002 or this one of steves subject to cost really:sneaky2:(tight basket):001_tt2:.

The tree runner price may be pushing the boat out but i have not got to worry about shipping as i can get it into the country for free, but theres no reviews out there and nobody seems to be able to convince me there worth the money. and being close to price as the Hobbs i think i can say i won't bother:blushing:.

does anyone no the price of this new bollard/winch of steves.

:confused1:

Adam

nice one rupe thanks,

thinks its always been the stein for me, besides if i had a GRCS i would always be wasting time teaching all the landscape gardeners i climb for how to use it :001_rolleyes:

in the event of me being able to afford either the Hobbs, GRCS which is gonna be best to have.(or steves when he gets the thing marketed and reviewed:lol:)

Adam