Balancing Rigging Strop

mattplace

Drew, is everything connected together at the end of the lowering rope, with a maillon or something? Am I right in saying you've tied off the two ends of the rope, split it roughly into thirds, pulling the middle loop under & up and then clipped onto the lowering rope? Do the 2 balancer prusics & the rigging rope all connect into one common steel biner, or is there a rigging plate to take 3 biners?

Will this arrangement 'settle' level once it's free or does it hold in the position it was tensioned into before you cut it?

Oh... and long time no see!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just make up a spider, its a length of rope with a loop at either end, one loop s tied large enough to tie a 6 wrap prussic on your rigging line. so you have 2 loops to clip the krabs from the rigging slings in to. You can slide the prussic yp and down to grt the tension right.. we used it on this crane dismantle to keep some of the bigger bits level.http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/35999-beech-crane-dismantle.html

Mine are made from 13mm climbing line with fig8 loops but you could splice some if you want.

i cant get my head around those pics lol

ha sorry bro-its just running bowlines either end with 2 prussics in the middle for adjustment. the centre cradle is just the spare unused section rope tidied up out of the way. The rig is attached to the rigging line via a steel crab.

I'll try and get some up, I am on n=my new mac now and haven't loaded any pics i=on it yet, haven't quite "got" the keyboard yet either..lol

They are about 2 - 2.5m long, if you are doing small trees and the limb being rigged is close to the pulley then a smaller one would be better. I don't use them often when rigging as with the hobbs you can tip rope limbs and winch them upright, but for the crane stuff they have been really handy.

I usually use a short length of rigging rope (15m) clove hitch either end to each end of the limb to be balanced. Attach a prussic mid line and biner that to normal rigging rope set-up. If that makes sense. Pretty simple, and the prussic can be adjusted to suit the lie of the limb. Can add pics in a few days, as away from the yard (and rigging kit) this week on a horrible job if needs be.

You can also set up a quick 2 leg balancer with no extra gear at all.

Pull a fair bit of rigging line to you, set the first anchor point with a half hitch, run straight to the second anchor point, another half hitch, and then tie the tail back onto the standing part of the rigging line to make the second leg of the balancer.

I have a biner on my rigging line, so I use a marlin spike hitch and spike the biner through it for the final knot, although you could equally use a friction hitch.

Quick, easy and secure. You do need a fair bit of line to do it though, so make sure there is enough left over to lower the piece all the way to the ground!

Pete, Do you have any pics of this, I was trying to remember how to do it the other day, I find it a lot better than carting kit up the tree, but for the life of me couldnt remember how to do it?

Thanks Jaime

• 1 month later...

I rather like this theme and idea, and have been thinking about the little rings, and came up with this system of interlocking rings so that they become captive but adjustable.

These are cambium saver rings but I will be looking for tested CE marked products for the finished slings.

just thought I would post this little idea for others to see and possibly adapt and use in their own systems.

I always look for clean lines and the simple solution, I think this is about as clean and simple as it gets. No more lost rings or cross loaded crabs just attach to the ring!

so you have your little eyed piece of rope and these rings are left on your rigging line and ignored till needed.

what do you think?

59765f6771b57_slingring086.jpg.5380918242f000889496d6710912ede8.jpg

59765f677408e_slingring087.jpg.6c6415842740b6532306366a069f9c67.jpg

59765f6776906_slingring088.jpg.55b82dd884113ab3f7f03369d947f793.jpg