stress and why you love your job

elicokiz

Hi folks

I would be intrested to know what rank as key stress causing features for individuals in our profession, and why we wouldnt give up our profession for a more financially rewarding occupation..

Dave:thumbup:

1. key stress features? Dealing with idiots masquerading as the general public (not all but some). Phone calls at 9 Oclock at night to discuss the trimming of a camellia. Groundies who prefer to sit with their thumb up their backside while I do all the work but the worst of all? doing absolutely nothing like I am at the moment when I could be out trimming trees. That's the joys of working for a council for you.

Why wouldn't I give up the profession? I don't know how to do anything else plus I love what I do. Who else gets to see the sun rise and then be 60 feet up a tree in the crisp air of a winter morning with nothing but bird song for company. There's so many positives it would be hard to list them all and they far outweigh the negatives.

Taupotreeman is correct in many ways. Been there done that. Stress in it's self is neither good or bad. It is just there. How one copes with it on a day to day basis is the key. I could have chosen other lines of work growing up?. Don't know if I would have been as happy and have met all the interesting folks over the years as I have. More money cuts both ways, how everything is managed is the key in my opinion. It's not a job it's a way of life.

elg

Most end up stressed because they work too much, you should be stress free like all us posting on this thread at 3pm because we are finished for the day:thumbup::lol:

Agree with you there. If you have decent money on a job you won't get stressed because you can work round all the annoying little things that crop up.

Work with decent lads instead of cheap unskilled labour, they will reduce stress levels.

Learn to read customers, if they are a pain when you look at the job expect them to be worse when you do it.

Agree with you there. If you have decent money on a job you won't get stressed because you can work round all the annoying little things that crop up.

Work with decent lads instead of cheap unskilled labour, they will reduce stress levels.

Learn to read customers, if they are a pain when you look at the job expect them to be worse when you do it.

Thats one impressive swordtail on your avatars sholder...only ever seen one..scared the cr.p out of one of my colleauges:thumbup:

Dave

Hi folks

I would be intrested to know what rank as key stress causing features for individuals in our profession, and why we wouldnt give up our profession for a more financially rewarding occupation..

Dave:thumbup:

Stress??? whats stress? sounds like something for other people to worry about :001_tt2:

Work doesn't' stress me out. It's seasonal lack of work when you need to keep your loyal full time staff busy during quiet times. You can find yourself stressing over keeping money in the pockets of those who count on you for a cheque at the end if the month.

An old boss once told me the when the works good tree surgery is the best job going. When its slow its a waste of time.

Stressful aspects of the job:

Staff

Equipment breakdowns

Cowboy and Gypo competition

Staff

Summer heat

Operating costs

Clients who say "Oh, while your here with your saws, just do that as well". When I add it to the bill they look at me like I just shot the Pope!

Having no control over my own destiny.

Staff.

Positives:

Being outside

Achieving something significant every day

Having control over my own destiny

Working with boys toys

Climbing trees

Crisp blue sky winter days above the roof tops

Staff

Appreciative clients

Different office everyday