loading carabiners

DrewB

Heres a good example of incorrectly loading a carabiner. AP spliced class 1 onto Yale arrow frog rope in a VT setup. The fishermans knot on the arrow frog loaded the nose of the carabiner and snapped it at 21kN. Still a massive amount but expected a lot higher than this

P1000855.jpg.28105384a153ec87f29f133aaabdad7e.jpg

P1000864.jpg.a68aa3b861484b5956ce5e81f4b63b61.jpg

Heres a good example of incorrectly loading a carabiner. AP spliced class 1 onto Yale arrow frog rope in a VT setup. The fishermans knot on the arrow frog loaded the nose of the carabiner and snapped it at 21kN. Still a massive amount but expected a lot higher than this

Thats unreal!!

Thats impressive Drew, I assume you were destruction testing on some form of rig, could i be rude :blushing:and ask if would it be possible use you images for instruction purposes?

regards

Dave

A loss of 3kn when incorrectly loading it does not seem bad at all to me.

A full on cross loading rating would be 7-9kn & open gate a similar amount. For it to cope till 21kn is good not bad.

it wasnt a total crossload-when it was on the machine it looked setup sweet as per norm, i think it just highlighted the problem. I imagine using knotted hitch cord,pulley,knotted climbing line will see a dramatic loss-i feel some breaking coming on..:)

and dave, of course you can use it bro.

Moot point Peter.

Still worrying on a 24KN rated crab.

Drew, you need to eat less pies bro....

hows it a moot point? the carabiner is being loaded incorrectly. its a way we all use but that doesnt mean its the best loading method. day to day the loading isnt an issue until you reach the breaking load.

Jamie