Tempest splitter

Daniël Bos

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Has any body made one of these yet or is there any thing similar on the uk market? it does look superb halfs the time by acting both ways, and as said put a bag at each end and the logs dont need to be handled twice, would be great for oversize stuff that will not go through our processor.

• 5 months later...

hey im just new to this, i built a log splitter roughly based on a tempest. Its built on 3pt linkage the ram is a 150mm cylinder with 300mm stroke its maybe a bit shy but this lenght of log works well in my stove. for the splitting edges i used the hardened edges of the side edges for sheer grab, so far im more happy with it!!! as soon as i find my lead here il get the pics up!!!!

not sure if this helps but i copied that video to build one similar to it, problem i had was you had to have a large diameter (ended up 100mm cyclinder with 50mm rod) ram so that on the 'return' stroke it'd have enough force to split the log. But i gave up with it and cut it up to make standard vertical one with a big table. Bit rings say 3ft diameter were difficult to move across to other side without falling over and knotted wood was just difficult to get through it as it split in funny shapes and ended up jamming in knives even with them being tapered. Bloody good if u have straight wood like he has, would recommend it, but i end up with funny shaped twisted knotty stuff half the time so it didn't work for me.:001_huh:

Be interested if you do build one how you get on!!!:thumbup: