self tending hitches?

the verminator

There is a couple different setups you can use to make the hitch self-tend, this is the variation I use, I normally rock the distel or swabish, but anything will do.

IMG_8613.jpg

IMG_8614.jpg

It's tough to see what tends the slack, it's a piece of throwline prusic'd about 2 feet above your termination knot, with a dog tag clip, which then attaches to a micropulley below your friction hitch, instead of through the same biener that attaches to the eye to eye.

The red rope is just so you go further per pull, more leverage.

Sorry for the quality of the shots, I got the girlfriend to climb in my gear, she took the pics. Loved every second of it, lol.

That bridge on your harness is getting old and tired.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bridge is still in good shape, just discolored from climbing in the winter/rain.

The system is so you don't have to tend slack, yes there is simpler ways to climb, but the dogtag means you dont have to hold your weight with one arm, and pull slack with another. Beginner ways to climb, but the average here in North America. The only way to simplify without pulling slack, would be using a micro pulley with 3 eyes, throw line and a dogtag is far easier/cheaper to acquire.

Also the red tail is just an eye to eye I made, no splicing, just some double fishermans, didn't need to fork out the extra 30$ for an eye I only use with this method. One end is sewn together to keep it from fraying. When is the last time you saw a fisherman fail from the tail? Never.

Edited by Rachis

ive seen tails pull through bro-it doesnt take that much. bit its very easy to fix before it happens:)

dito and dito, not having a go bro. just saying the tails are way to short. just have it same as your climbing line fishermens and be safer for sure. Cheers for sharing the Pic. you Could also use a adjustable Brigde or O-rig system and that will do the same thing as what you are doing. But more effective and neater i reckon.

Check it out in other threads, but first fix thoses tails:biggrin:, they do get sucked in with big loads man, and thats the last thing you want happening.

Climb safe dude and enjoy

bah - those tails look fine to me - use a similar sort of set up but with a sling when i got a long haul just clip the sling to the harness and then to the bottom krab of the hitch climber....its been ages since iv used it, and infact forgot all about that little trick till i saw that pic

Edited by Dilz

bah - those tails look fine to me - use a similar sort of set up but with a sling when i got a long haul just clip the sling to the harness and then to the bottom krab of the hitch climber....its been ages since iv used it, and infact forgot all about that little trick till i saw that pic

"bah- she'd be right eh. Oopppss ...." how times have you heard that.

This isn't self tending but this is a very simple and effective way of climbing. Basically it is a Knut with the addition of a piece of friction cord, larks footed to the bottom of the hitch to prevent it from over-tightening during use. I have been climbing this way for a couple of years now and find it really reliable and useful. Tom D has inspired me to post this after seeing how he has implemented a piece of cord to adjust his friction hitch.

When pulling through slack it is not super smooth as when using a hitch climber and if not set quite right it may be difficult to tend using one hand. Having said that I've only tried this with three different cord types.

Unlike using a hitch climber, the Knut/knot always grips and with minimal sit-back. Upon observation I have found that this is due to the friction cord maintaining adequate contact with the climbing line when the knot is broken.

Give it a go. I would recommend this for someone wanting to progress from prussik or blakes to a more advanced climbing system, without taking a big leap so to speak.

P.s oval crab is not really suitable for this purpose but I just put one to hold the knot for the picture. Use a pear shaped crab to allow terminal end of climbing line to be clipped in to the same crab.

Photo0427.jpg.d6804d8fe0b4e4e11b37d910d2fefd7c.jpg

Photo0426.jpg.ea079914c1bd028656b9537eafd43165.jpg

Edited by Lancstree